Discussion topic: I have an alert on Avast Security regards HNS-WAN-ACCESS

This message was authored by Coldwarwarrior01 This message was authored by: Coldwarwarrior01

I have an alert on Avast Security regards HNS-WAN-ACCESS

I have an error showing on my security settings found on the router by Avast (see photo) however i cannot see how to correct the problem in the router settings, can anyone help please?

Screenshot 2022-07-09 160506.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: I have an alert on Avast Security regards HNS-WAN-ACCESS

@Coldwarwarrior01 

Suggest and recommendation, factory reset the router and leave it off for an hour and see whether you still get the message?

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Coldwarwarrior01
Topic Author
This message was authored by Coldwarwarrior01 This message was authored by: Coldwarwarrior01

@mae-3 Thanks for that, this is a new sky router on the network and I've not had this error when scanning on Avast before, so not sure why it's come up now tbh

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Coldwarwarrior01 

Sky reserve the right to have remote access to their Hubs: you've agreed to that in the broadband T&C's.  I suspect your scan is detecting the open port used for this (either 1337 or 31337, from memory, because someone has a suitably warped sense of humour ; )

Unfortunately there's no way to avoid this while still using a Sky Hub.  Any actual risk would require additional vulnerabilities on the Hub itself: an open port by itself is not exploitable 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Coldwarwarrior01 

Recommend for security reasons, replace the Sky router with your own because of what @TimmyBGood says, and I wouldn't allow anyone accesses to my own systems. Its a breach of the parameter WAN onto the LAN and another reason I left Sky 😎

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion