Discussion topic: How to replace sky hub with Netgear Orbi RBR750

This message was authored by oompah This message was authored by: oompah

How to replace sky hub with Netgear Orbi RBR750

Afternoon all,

I have sky super fast broadband which I believe is FTTC. I own a netgear orbi mesh system from our old house which was fantastic for dealing with wifi coverage and the large number of devices we have.

i would like to remove the sky hub completely but I cannot work out how to do this, currently I have an Ethernet from the sky hub connected to the orbi with the sky hub wifi turned off.

This is causing double NAT which is not ideal in a house full of online gamers. 

How can I use my orbi system and remove the sky hub? Any help advice and instructions would be great, I'm certainly no IT expert, so plain simple instructions please 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: How to replace sky hub with Netgear Orbi RBR750

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@oompah 

Two issues: FTTC requires a VDSL modem which Orbi hardware does not have, so you'd need to obtain one.

After that the router (in this case an Orbi node) has to support DHCP option 61 which it may not do.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
oompah
Topic Author

It does have this option where is says client identifier string option 61 in the DHCP

IMG_8680.png

? I have no idea what would go in here though? What's the best modem that is not too expensive to be able to get rid of the sky hub and pass the connection to the orbi router to manage?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@oompah 

The dhcp option 61 client identifier is

anything@skydsl|anything

You will also need to enable vlan id tag on the modem and enter the value to 101 in the uk

And set MTU to 1500 or accept default of 1492 if you can't change it

The cheapest new modem would be the tp link td w9970

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
oompah
Topic Author

Thanks for the response! 

is the TP Link the best modem for the job? Is it reliable in terms of stability and is it easy to set up and use with the orbi? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@oompah 

The other :-

Draytek vigor 130 at over £100+ so a tad expensive for a pure modem

The tp link is around £35 and does an good job.  It can be tricky to set up in modem modem so get back to us for help

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

oompah
Topic Author

I only need a modem I believe as the orbi router I hope will sort the rest. I'm not the best with tech especially internet so I would like the simplest way to get rid of the sky hub and utilise the orbis without getting double NAT

@oompah 

The tp link does have a router but can be set up in modem bridge mode which by passes its own router and passes the public ip address to the orbi. The draytek works the same way

oompah
Topic Author

Great! I've purchased it through Amazon so it will be here tomorrow. Are there any instructions I can read  to help me be ready to set it up when it arrives.

@oompah 

This may have changed

Instructions for setting up tp link td w9970 as modem bridge

select sky vdsl from isp list
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

oompah
Topic Author

Great thanks! And what is it I need to put in the orbi client identifier string option 61?  Once the tp link is in bridge mode

@oompah 

anything@skydsl|anything

oompah
Topic Author

Sorry am I being thick or do I literally put in anything@skydsl|anything

@oompah 

Most people get away with anything but it can be anything.  I am starting to confuse myself 😁

For eg it could be jamesbond@skydsl|bond 

oompah
Topic Author

Hi,

I have the router in bridge mode but I can't seem to find the settings to put option 101 in and the mtu size?

I thought I had cracked it when I went to set up through basic and the internet came up but it gave me the same double NAT issue so it obviously overwrote the bridge mode 🙈 HELP 😭

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion