Discussion topic: How do I change from 5GHz to 2.4 on sky? says select wifi from the menu bar but I cannot find it.

This message was authored by wacko70 This message was authored by: wacko70

How do I change from 5GHz to 2.4 on sky? says select wifi from the menu bar but I cannot find it.

I am trying to connect my blink cameras up and its not recognising the password which is defnitley right.Was tols to ty changing the GHz? Help!!

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: How do I change from 5GHz to 2.4 on sky? says select wifi from the menu bar but I cannot find it

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wacko70 

As posted by @jamesn123

Note that this process does not apply to the new (white) Max Hub, which doesn't permit band separation.

So to split the two channels you need to go to your router config page which can be found by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser.

To access the page, you'll need;

username: admin

password: sky OR your WiFi password

- Select wireless from the navigation bar and scroll down a little and untick the 'Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings'

- Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit apply.

- Once the page reloads you need to go to the 5GHz wireless settings page on the sub navigation bar below where you click wireless before

- In the 5GHz section you want to go to the box called 'Name (SSID)' and add something like 5g to the end of the current name

- Scroll down and hit apply

- Then on any wireless device you should now see two networks. One network will be the same name as usual and will be 2.4GHz band and the other will be the usual name with 5G on the end (Or whatever you typed). Connect any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz network and see if it works correctly. The WiFi password should be the same if you havent changed it.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
wacko70
Topic Author

Re: How do I change from 5GHz to 2.4 on sky? says select wifi from the menu bar but I cannot find it

Thank you so much for your quick response.

not sure what to do now! Trying to pair the blink cameras with the wifi but just keeps saying wrong password and its not.

any ideas? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@wacko70 

Which Hub model do you have?

1000001348.png

wacko70
Topic Author

Sky max hub (white)

@wacko70 

The Max Hub is administered through the My Sky app rather than by IP address, and doesn't permit band unsynchronizing.

Some users have found that switching off the 5Ghz band temporarily and then attaching their phone/tablet to the resulting 2.4Ghz-only signal permits camera and other IoT device setup.

wacko70
Topic Author

Thank you! 🙏 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@wacko70 

Its possible you'll need to change the security setting if you have the Max hub. Blink cameras may not want to use WPA3.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
wacko70
Topic Author

Thank you everyone-finally managed to sort it.

This message was authored by WastelandStag This message was authored by: WastelandStag

Bit of a silly decision by Sky really.

My in-laws changed to sky and it has made several hundred pounds worth of cameras worthless. Unfortunately they're not tech savvy and by the time they asked me to look at it it was too late to cancel the contract.

It's not like their smart switching even works that well. I swapped away because it was constantly bottlenecking my sky tv if my partner was on her tv. Kept the sky tv for a while and it worked perfectly with BT.

@WastelandStag wrote:

My in-laws changed to sky and it has made several hundred pounds worth of cameras worthless.

Well thats just not true is it because you can still connect devices it just requires changing some settings.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by WastelandStag This message was authored by: WastelandStag

I tried doing as suggested, turning the 5ghz off then back on, cameras stopped working. So my only option is to leave 5ghz off an pay a premium for technology I can't access? Anti-customer at the least.

On top of that, they can't get wifi upstairs and sky won't send a puck out even though they have whole house guarantee.

They're also now facing the same issue that we had, if two people are watching sky tv, one persons tv will stutter and buffer even though their speeds are 65 megabits.

Sky used to be good, and their tv still is, so long as you don't run it on sky broadband.

And I'm impressed with their house insurance and benefits, but their broadband is really not good.

@WastelandStag 

If the cameras disconnect after enabling 5ghz again then I would say its an issue with the cameras. Its not like 5ghz & synchronised SSID's is a new technology, if the cameras are not able to cope with it after being manually connected to the 2.4ghz band first then its probably time for an upgrade.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion