Discussion topic: Home network - cant set as private

This message was authored by DRC-KW14 This message was authored by: DRC-KW14

Home network - cant set as private

OK I moved from BT to Sky Broadband yesterday.  Setup of the WiFi network was easy and everything connected almost straight away.  However I have an ethernet-wired PC with a shared folder for everythiong on it, and now cant use it as I can't get the network to reset to Private.  I have tried everything I have found on the internet, and nothing works.  In Network List Manager properties, the networks are now shown as private, but they still say public under the networkproperties.  I'm at the end of my tether with this.  Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Best Answers
DRC-KW14
Topic Author
This message was authored by DRC-KW14 This message was authored by: DRC-KW14 Answer

Re: Home network - cant set as private

Thanks.  OK, believe it or not, after trying every bit of advice going to force the network to be private by chganging system settings, the issue was not resolved.  However,  I eventually found advice from someone who said he had the same issue, and by uninstalling Avast the issue was sorted.  And "hey presto" it worked !  I have since reinstalled Avast and still have a private network, so that seems to have worked.  Thanks for your help everyone.  🙂 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

I always have problems finding this.

Normally, when you first connect to a network Windows asks what network profile you want to be part of.

To change this later (Windows 10 or 11) go to Settings->Network & Internet->Ethernet

Then click on the Ethernet connection you have connected.

You should be given the option to select the profile there.

Note:- you have to have the network connected to show this.

DRC-KW14
Topic Author

Thanks.  That was my first staring point, but on clicking "private" the network resets to public.  I have used regedit to reset to private and my network keeps reverting to public every time I try someting.

Even using Win Powershell as Admin failed.  It looks like the command has been accepted, but does noty work.

This is why I'm slowly going quite mad.....

DRC-KW14
Topic Author

So... does the Sky router FORCE the network to be public, and if so is it something I can change via the settings at 192.168.0.1 ?  Thanks

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DRC-KW14 no the hub cannot affect what the OS sets. Usually the setting sticks but if it doesn't just check the other settings. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
DRC-KW14
Topic Author
This message was authored by DRC-KW14 This message was authored by: DRC-KW14 Answer

Thanks.  OK, believe it or not, after trying every bit of advice going to force the network to be private by chganging system settings, the issue was not resolved.  However,  I eventually found advice from someone who said he had the same issue, and by uninstalling Avast the issue was sorted.  And "hey presto" it worked !  I have since reinstalled Avast and still have a private network, so that seems to have worked.  Thanks for your help everyone.  🙂 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion