Discussion topic: Having BT switch off when SKY activates times

This message was authored by PAISLEYALD This message was authored by: PAISLEYALD

Having BT switch off when SKY activates times

Screenshot_20221128-183957_Samsung Internet.jpgI have ordered SKY tonight where I will be moving from BT FTTP to SKY FTTP.

The section on screenshot titled TIP. Does this apply only if I am not via openreach or do I also need to do this if with BT or does SKY tell them to switch off on that day?

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Having BT switch off when SKY activates times

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PAISLEYALD 

Thats only if you are with Virgin or any alt-net provider

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@PAISLEYALD 

Thats only if you are with Virgin or any alt-net provider

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PAISLEYALD 

With FTTP to FTTP where both ISPs are on the Openreach network there should be no 'switch off' involved: effectively the new ISP is just taking over billing and associated services.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
PAISLEYALD
Topic Author
This message was authored by PAISLEYALD This message was authored by: PAISLEYALD

Starting to be very glad i didnt move to vodafone on city fibre now !

PAISLEYALD
Topic Author

Sky Broadband and Talk from BT

I am moving from BT to SKY. 

As part of the process on SKY order it asked if I want to keep my same number which I said yes.

On the order from SKY email it says "Sky Broadband and SkyTalk" and lists my "skytalk phone number" as my current landline so seems all fine.

I then received an email from BT saying my final bill will be calculated on the next bill as I have retained my mobiles (currently moving them so that wont apply) and my phone line......  

Has anyone had this from BT before just before I call them tomorrow .. I was on phone for 94 minutes yesterday just trying to get pac codes from them on a family sim transfer that they completely messed up... so trying to avoid more pain if someone has had this type of email before.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky Broadband and Talk from BT

@PAISLEYALD assuming your current phone service is delivered through your fibre connection, ie the phone plugs intomyour BT hub, Sky will take over both internet and phone. In rare circumstances the voice line can be delivered over a copper line while broadband uses fibre if that is true in your case then the two wont transfer together.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
PAISLEYALD
Topic Author

Re: Sky Broadband and Talk from BT

Thank you @Chrisee  I have never had a landline plugged in for years so no idea really. The email from Sky indicates the transfer of it as a skytalk number yet BT email reads landline remains...  sky site says not to contact BT to cancel landline if want to keep number so hesitant to speak to BT at all...  at some point in next few days will Sky tell me if they can't transfer number.. I am genuinely not fussed at all but don't want to be left with a BT landline at any cost to me !

PAISLEYALD
Topic Author

Just a thank you

Evening all,

My transfer from BT to sky completed today (tv and broadband).

I just wanted to drop everyone a message who helped me to say THANK YOU.

Without your guidance I wouldn't be a sky customer today.

I am set up using my current ASUS router, didn't even have to wipe anything just simply moved it from PPPoe to Automatic and put in the sky settings and all my same SSID simple moved over. 

My 500 speed.... currently getting full even on WiFi and do I notice a difference from BT 900.... nope! #payingforsomethingdidntneed. 

Outcome is I am paying the same I did before but have sky... which ultimately has saved me as My freesat box gave up this morning!!!! And sky engineer gripped my old 16 year old dish and it came off in their hand with rust so timing was perfect.

Thank you all and have a wonderful Christmas. If it wasn't for you all I would be down hundreds for a new freesat box a new dish and still paying BT £64pm for broadband only. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion