Discussion topic: Gigafast poor speed

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Gigafast poor speed

@Richie+Shilston 

For optimum wireless channels do a wireless analysis for 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz and pick channels accordingly. I am not sure whether you can use the DFS channel 100-140 band B 5Ghz on that router as a preference which may get you better performance with wireless.

However, a wireless analysis is essential for the best performance for the local area.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Richie+Shilston This message was authored by: Richie+Shilston

Asus no better than SKY router however functionality with app and other functions makes it better and more manageable. For me best channels is channel 64 for 160 bandwidth but speed no better than sky. Not a good test ethernet to my old laptop as speed the same as WiFi. £65 for a RT-AX58U worth a go, I will be sticking to it for the wifi 6 and great app functionality. Appreciate all your help guys, shame no answer as to why I'm only getting 400Mb with 900Mb coming in, common problem across ISPs and router choices.

@Richie+Shilston 

Does that router support 5Ghz band B, that's channels 100-140 on 5Ghz as that the only channels worth going 160Mhz wide if one has clients that support 160Mhz width? Going 160Mhz isn't worth it at channel 64 because it covers channels 36-64 and one will get a great deal of interference from channel 36 80Mhz wide at the lower end.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Richie+Shilston This message was authored by: Richie+Shilston

It doesn't support the 160 DFS  channels anything over 64, I only chose channel 64 as it allowed and phone network speed seem to be the give away to show all was good. Channel 64 was offset nicely to other neighbouring  scans. My choice for 160 was for higher speed, which I never got! 

@Richie+Shilston 

So, channels 36-64 are clear because that is what 160Mhz wide covers, it isn't a single channel 64? Can you post a spectrum analysis of the 5Ghz band A to the forum, please?

-------

Just can't get above 370Mb. Pic attached. I've changed to channel 60 on 80mhz.

Screenshot_20231209_212728_WiFiman.jpg

Coming into house...

Screenshot_20231209_213410_ASUS Router.jpg

@Richie+Shilston 

There are 3 wireless routers on channel 36 that are nearby, are any of them in your setup? So, those channels between 36-52 are congested. And 52-68 are pretty clear, so use channel 52 at 80Mhz width.

-------

Would channel 60 not be more preferable? No the other 3 are not mine.

@Richie+Shilston 

Nope, channel 52 is the correct channel for 80Mhz width...

-------

Showing channel 100 on scan with 52 selected..

@Richie+Shilston 

And the speed of the connection now with channel 100 DFS in use by the wireless router? 52 upwards are DFS channels, by the way and you need to select channels accordingly to fit in with the spectrum plan, which is a gentleman's agreement. And using the spectrum plan offers the best speeds, usually. 

-------

Morning. Even slower 5g wifi now,  for some reason seperating 2.4 and 5g. Is the sky mesh a seperate connection between the boxes on 5g (80/ch.36) I noticed the channel cannot be changed on sky mini box for 80Mhz. Was checking if I still had 5g connection to the boxes as now both seperate SSIDs. My main router is set to 52Mhz channel 80.

Thinking just to put back to combined SSID and auto channel selection 🤣

@Richie+Shilston 

So, you are running 2 wireless routers, eg: Sky and Asus router. Most people running Asus routers don't run. wireless networks together.

But I've got 4 5Ghz wireless networks and they all work well; wireless routers on channel 36 (band A 5Ghz 80Mhz width), 52 (band A 5Ghz 80Mhz DFS width), 100 (band Band 5Ghz DFS 80Mhz width) 149 (band C 5Ghz 80-Mhz width). They all perform around the 600Mbps mark except the 800Mbps mark on channel 100 all up together.

The reason I do this is because I have a block of /29 public IP addresses and it is for network segregation.

When picking channels these are the best to pick for performance on 5Ghz when routers are running close to each other location-wise, the reason I know is that I do it.

-------

No just the one router. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion