Discussion topic: Gigafast poor speed

This message was authored by neillondragan This message was authored by: neillondragan

Re: Gigafast poor speed

Hi thanks again for all your responses.  Yes my 360 speeds were on the Netflix speed test on an ethernet connection from router to Sky Q box with gigafast.  With me it's just a case of boys and their toys lol so I just expected to see the 1GB speed in black and white... I realise you don't need those ridiculous speeds but I just upgraded as I thought why not have better... suppose it is a tad disappointing that there are bugs in the system etc!

This message was authored by calgu This message was authored by: calgu

Hi just joined ultrafast plus on Monday 

I know they say over 2 weeks they can be optimising the connection but I don't think my speeds have changed at all from bt fibre 1 (about 70mbps)

I notice the router stats show 0 downstream and upstream connection speed... And yet here I am...online

Router Statistics
System Up Time: 55:22:22

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN WANoE 9658101 28824004 0 10342 128660 55:20:35 LAN Up 851476 44541 0 13374 2750 55:22:22 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 25527289 5565784 0 12708 0 55:20:45 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 34197087 6811497 0 0 55514 55:20:44

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbps
This message was authored by neillondragan This message was authored by: neillondragan

I think that optimising speeds can take 2 weeks etc is utter rubbish they always say that it's like they are programmed. I do not think that is the case for FTTP... it is more for down the phone line to a cabinet etc.  Some of the Sky operators don't even realise that FTTP is a pure feed from the exchange. The mind boggles... correct me if I am wrong re the stabilising over 2 weeks.

Any idea why my downstream and upstream stats are showing zero? 

My minimum speed is 400mbps and I'm I'm getting around 70mbps on my devices speedtests 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@calgu 

A zero upstream and downstream speed is reported with full fibre to the premises, eg: it's normal. What isn't normal is only getting 70Mbps downstream speed, is that over an ethernet connected device that you are testing the throughput speed over? 

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Hi, thanks for the advice on the 0 downstream speeds

Nope - that's over WiFi in various settings on various devices (mobile. Netflix, laptop) 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@calgu 

One needs to test the speed over an ethernet connected device, eg: that is the only guaranteed speed that Sky provide. Wifi suffers all sorts of issues with interference, etc... and cannot be relied on for speed tests.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by SmegPoison This message was authored by: SmegPoison

Did anyone find the answer or improve their connection? I upgraded to Gigafast a couple of days ago and so far it seems slower than Ultrafast.

Most I've seen is 640Mbps a couple of times, usually it's 300-400Mbps but before I upgraded I was getting the full 500Mbps.

BTW - This is on gigabit wired connection, I am not testing with WiFi. single device only plugged into the router direct, doesn't give me any better results.

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@mae-3 wrote:

@neillondragan 

The reason it's showing less 1Gbps when the Sky Q box is connected is there is a bug in the Sky mesh system when it is ethernet connected to the Sky router and with this bug, it is not worth upgrading to 1Gbps whilst using Sky's buggy mesh system!

• Is this issue known to Sky?
  • Not worth getting Ultrafast Plus either?
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by Xtattsbox This message was authored by: Xtattsbox

I think that until Sky release a Wifi 6 router there is no great benefit to upgrading unless you are going to set up a wired connection and use Ubiquiti Wifi devices (or similar) then the benefit is questionable.  I guess that we are fairly heavy users.  Our usage in the last 12 months is 2.5 terabytes, but then who knows.  The benefits are we don't get any lagging at all.  We have four TV's that are often stream 4K Netflix at the same time.

Sky (and I don't think that they are unique) offer Gigabit Broadband, but the stuff that you get for free is not up to the job of servicing it well.  You only have to look at the cost of Wifi 6 mesh systems (Orbi for instance is £ 1500.00) that I suspect would offer a far superior user experience to understand the failing in the equipment that Sky provide.  

This message was authored by Pete09081972 This message was authored by: Pete09081972

Hi All 

hoping someone can help me as I am a novice.

today we had our WiFi repaired and the Sky q box updated and the engineers( who where great) said we can get gigafast.

we have the router and new Sky q box downstairs in lounge and a mini box in our bedroom.

my son has a pc in his room next door and has always said he games glitch from time to time.

since all repaired all devices work however my sons Pc will only work when the Ethernet cable is plugged in from our mini box upstairs to his Pc.

tried to run his Pc off WiFi but not showing as an option even though we do have a WiFi dongle plugged into pc.

tried unplugging the Ethernet cable from our mini box as I been told by friends we shouldn't do that however he loses signal.

the reason we agreed to upgrade to the gigafast was simply so my sons games wouldn't glitch anymore and in fact would be faster however questions I have now are

would he gigafast still speed up his pc with an Ethernet cable plugged in

should we have the Ethernet cable running from mini box to his pc

do I need a Better dongle and would the pc actually be quicker or am I wasting my money as only considering for the Pc

would appreciate anyway nes advice on this

thank you 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Pete09081972 

This sounds like an issue with the PC, not your Sky broadband since all other devices work fine. 

Also you should really be connecting the PC directly to the router, not a mini box. Connecting it to a minibox just increases the amount of hops the PC takes to get data to the router and its still relying on the WiFi connection between the Minibox & the router which is likely to cause lag anyway. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Bpearce01 This message was authored by: Bpearce01

Did this ever improve? I'm only getting 300-400 (usually 300) on gigafast too.

This message was authored by SmegPoison This message was authored by: SmegPoison

Nope! I called sky a few times and they guaranteed me everything looked ok. The router was synced at gigabit, account was set to gigabit, etc but it was always slower. I downgraded back to 500 Mb and it's now faster, getting the max 500 most of the time, occasionally it drops but still faster than when it was on gigabit. 

I wonder if my local exchange/cab just wasn't able to handle that speed.

Funny thing too, one of the sky reps even said to me why do you want gigabit, no one needs those speeds!

I doubt he ever gets his monthly sales bonus talking like that lol

This message was authored by Bpearce01 This message was authored by: Bpearce01

A sky rep said the same to me, I have a family of gamers and we want to download our games quicker, duhh!

I've only had it a couple of days, will give it a week or 2 before i get on the phone. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion