Discussion topic: Gigafast poor speed

This message was authored by Lukmanh557 This message was authored by: Lukmanh557

Gigafast poor speed

Currently have sky ultrafast plus 500mbps

and saw sky have now released gigafast 900mbps so I went for this and upgraded my package

now doing tests wireless sat right near the router I'm still getting speeds of around 554 maximum Download and 104 upload 

so the only thing different I'm really getting is the upload speed on this package 

also done a wired test and still getting some 

anyone else getting this? Like what's going on

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Gigafast poor speed

@Lukmanh557 

The speed that you are seeing over wireless is about the maximum the Sky wireless router will provide over wireless, and what speed are you getting over an ethernet wired connection?

And also note that when an upgrade in speed is ordered and supplied it can take a day or so to kick in because the parameters for the upstream equipment need pushing to those devices on your connection and internet.

Recommend you wait a day, test over ethernet for the maximum speed of around 900Mbps and accept you are unlikely to receive 900Mbps over wireless from the Sky wireless router as the weakest link in the equation and maxes out around the speed you are seeing.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lukmanh557 

As @mae-3 indicates, 500Mbs is already very fast, and realistically there's diminishing returns achievable through moving from that to a nominally gigabit service, particularly when client bandwidth is delivered over 802.11ac WiFi.  Wired clients (with gigabit chipsets and Cat5 or above cabling) should see an improvement though, and Sky will release a WiFi 6 (802.11ax) Hub eventually: the BT Smart Hub 3 is rumoured for this summer, possibly with a 100Mbs minimum wireless guarantee (when used with matching disks) which would inevitably make the Sky 3Mbs version look somewhat silly...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Xtattsbox This message was authored by: Xtattsbox

Maximum speed on Wifi is about 500 mbs, and I think that is that topped out.  The upload I am seeing is about 110 mbs.  On an ethernet connection... Well it's fast...

IMG_E3DE10224457-1.jpeg

Wifi 6 routers would be a no brainer 🙂

This message was authored by Temp2123454333 This message was authored by: Temp2123454333

Hi, 

If you post your router stats here someone can check the downstream and upstream alongside noise DB 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Temp2123454333 wrote:

If you post your router stats here someone can check the downstream and upstream alongside noise DB 

Not for FTTP: there's no 'noise' on an optical cable, and Hub stats don't show sync speed.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Temp2123454333 wrote:

Hi, 

That won't work because the hud doesn't report the speeds with FTTP.

Mine is exactly the same, seems pointless upgrading 

@ob123456 wrote:

Mine is exactly the same, seems pointless upgrading 

That depends why you might want to upgrade.  Ultrafast over FTTP, particularly at 500Mbs or above, can absolutely deliver 'enough' bandwidth for multiple devices to function at 'full throttle' (say three Glass TVs and six pucks all streaming UHD simultaneously), or it can deliver huge bandwidth to one or more wired clients: our Steam games now arrive in a few minutes.  What an ISP router is unlikely to do is have hundreds of megabits land on an individual wireless device, but then there's almost never anything a device like that does which justifies such speed.

This message was authored by safcnono69 This message was authored by: safcnono69

I updated to 1gb, however ive rolled back as the box was saying it was recieving 1gb however network was still 470 mbs .Sky engineer came out swapped router same issue.They then said my devices  couldnt get 1gbs this wasnt true as i have brand new  devices Lenovo Legion 5 with wifi 6 card and cat8 into gigabyte lan.

So im guessing this is so new Sky cant support it and havent been trained on what information to supply to customers.

Looks like the sky q router isnt that great id love to have something like netgear nighthawk instead of this crappy router.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@safcnono69You have the highest speed broadband that Sky offer and you only have a Q broadband router?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Xtattsbox This message was authored by: Xtattsbox

I ahve to assume at some point Sky will release a new Router.  the Sky one is at best poor, but having spent a lump of money on other mesh network devices and finding that Sky Q just doesnt play nice, I resorted to the Sky router.

At some point in the forseeable future, I will turn off the Sky Wifi network and put a decent Mesh Wifi network in place to take care of Sonos and Mobile Devices and being in the garden.  Sky Q and Gaming devices will be Wired as that way it should all work flawlessly.

@Xtattsbox wrote:

I ahve to assume at some point Sky will release a new Router. 

It's inevitable that Sky has a WiFi 6 / WPA 3 model roadmapped: as much as anything they'll need one to compete with BT.

This message was authored by neillondragan This message was authored by: neillondragan

I too upgraded from Ultrafast Plus to Gigafast and I don't believe either that it is delivering that speed. I have done speed tests on Netflix on a wired Ethernet connection and am only seeing 350-400 ...same as when I was on Ultrafast Plus. When I used to be on BT 900 I am sure Netflix gave 600-700 speeds . Also sat right next to router and WiFi shows 420 max on my iphone.. no different.  Another user on a separate thread believes it's not working properly and then when you call them they don't have a clue... as I found out when I called... they just say oh yes you are on gigafast full stop. They can't even do a true speed test they told me to do my own and that doesn't give a live speed just tells you you are on the 900MB.  I am going to compalin but I also need to do a true speed test ie a laptop connected to router.  Anyone else any other ideas?  I did also factory reset router but still

no different??

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@neillondragan 

Sitting right next to the wireless router and connecting over wireless will not yield the full speed of a 1Gbps connection, it isn't technically possible with an 802.11ac wireless router the absolutely theoretical speed with 2 streams is 867Mbps and once overheads are taken into consideration its about 600-650Mbps. The only way you'll get the full speed is over a 1Gbps ethernet connection to a high-end computer with SSD.

The purpose of obtaining 1Gbps is for sharing the speed among devices not getting 1Gbps to a single device and if you upgraded for that purpose then you'll be disappointed, and in most cases, the upstream speed is the great thing about 1Gbps full-fibre and ability to share that 1Gbps...

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion