Discussion topic: Full Fibre Installation

This message was authored by Sincy This message was authored by: Sincy

Full Fibre Installation

My Full Fibre installation is due next week, upgrading from my existing Sky Broadband. My existing telephone master socket is in an upstairs bedroom but I would prefer the fibre connection and router to be on the ground floor.

I have asked Sky technical support and they told me that there is no need for the full fibre box to be beside the master socket as that will no longer be in use and as long as there's a power socket, it can be installed downstairs where I assume that the fibre cable will come into the house. 

This contradicts every post I've read on here! The Sky technical support agent did not inspire my confidence and seemed to be just reading answers from a script.

In order to install beside the master socket they will have to run a wire upstairs somehow plus I have the inconvenience of dismantling all my computer equipment and moving a desk. filing cabinet and other furniture from my upstairs bedroom. I don't want to do that and then find out that it's not required.

Hope someone can help because I have no idea who to believe now.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Full Fibre Installation

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sincy 

Putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker should indicate which provisioning type is applicable.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It's the table and the two text lines below it which are most useful.

Remove any personal information (such as the address itself) if you post an image.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sincy wrote:

I have asked Sky technical support and they told me that there is no need for the full fibre box to be beside the master socket as that will no longer be in use and as long as there's a power socket, it can be installed downstairs where I assume that the fibre cable will come into the house. 

That is correct, and doesn't, I think, contradict anything posted here.

Sincy
Topic Author
This message was authored by Sincy This message was authored by: Sincy

@TimmyBGood thanks for your reply. I looked up the table you suggested and the results show that I can get WBC FTTP up to 1000 with a one stage install process. Not sure what that means but I'm a lot more confident that this can be completed downstairs and without the hassle of moving furniture and computer equipment to allow access to the existing master socket upstairs. 

@Sincy 

The first few lines of text below the table should detail the installation method.

This message was authored by Hbag1 This message was authored by: Hbag1

I've had Openreach out this morning to install a wee box and new router to increase WiFi speed but it won't connect to my box.

tried turning everything off from switch, back on. Followed instructions to connect sky broadband WiFi many times over the past 2 hours and nothings working can someone help please?

@Hbag1 

Openreach wouldn't supply a new router, so that's probably their ONT.  

Which LEDs are currently lit on it?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion