Discussion topic: Frustrating Sky Broadband Installation Experience - 2Months Waiting

This message was authored by Imelda This message was authored by: Imelda

Frustrating Sky Broadband Installation Experience - 2Months Waiting

Hi all,

I wanted to share my frustrating experience with Sky Broadband in case anyone has advice or has been through something similar.

I decided to get Sky Broadband for my house and spoke with a Sky salesman in the last week of August. Everything seemed fine—I received my Sky Broadband package and an installation appointment for a technician, which I believe was around the 13th of September.

However, on the installation day, we waited the entire day for the technician, and no one showed up. I had taken time off work just to be available. To make things worse, Sky's policy is that if you miss the appointment, you have to reschedule and pay extra. That evening, we missed a call from the technician who said he’d come the next day, but once again, no one turned up.

When we called customer service, they said the technician isn’t allowed to reschedule directly, but they booked us a new appointment for the 23rd of September. On the 19th, I received a second delivery of a Sky Hub.

Finally, on the 23rd, the technician arrived and tested the broadband line outside. He said there was a problem—the readings were too high, meaning even if he installed the broadband, it wouldn’t work. He said he would file a report so the issue could be fixed before installation.

It’s now been over a month since then, and we’ve heard nothing from Sky. When I called customer service, I had to spend over 10 minutes just to get through, only to be told that the fault wouldn’t be resolved until the end of November. That means I will have waited almost three months for broadband installation!

To make matters worse, the customer service rep didn’t seem knowledgeable or helpful. I asked who I could speak to about getting this line issue resolved faster, but he didn’t have a clear answer and didn’t seem to take the situation seriously.

Has anyone else experienced this? Who is the right person to contact to escalate this issue with the external line? I’m at my wit’s end and really frustrated with the lack of communication and action from Sky.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Frustrating Sky Broadband Installation Experience - 2Months Waiting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Imelda wrote:

Finally, on the 23rd, the technician arrived and tested the broadband line outside. He said there was a problem—the readings were too high, meaning even if he installed the broadband, it wouldn’t work. 

Difficult to understand what that means, unless you were supposed to get G.fast installed but the line test showed the Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed couldn't be delivered (in which case the order would probably be cancelled)

If it's in the UK, putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker should indicate which broadband provisioning type is applicable.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It's the table and the two text lines below it which are most useful.

Remove any personal information (such as the address itself) if you post an image.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Imelda
Topic Author
This message was authored by Imelda This message was authored by: Imelda

Re: Frustrating Sky Broadband Installation Experience - 2Months Waiting

He explained that the readings on the line were too high—he said that if the reading is below 20, it's good, and if it's below 15, that's even better. Unfortunately, our reading was above 30.

I asked him if fixing it would take long, and he mentioned that it shouldn’t. He said it was a simple issue of changing the "head" of the fiber cable, as it can sometimes be covered by glue, which causes the problem. Im based in Ireland.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion