Discussion topic: Fibre optic installation advice re landline please

This message was authored by ABCD12345678 This message was authored by: ABCD12345678

Fibre optic installation advice re landline please

Hello all. Can anyone advise if there is a workaround for this issue please?

Already a Sky broadband user but wanted to upgrade to Fibre Optic broadband. OpenReach engineer visited the other week and said they could only install new router at the front of the house as the optic cable can't go around corners or be bent. However that location is no good for me because the landline phone would need to be plugged into the new router in a room that isn't ideal, ideally the phone needs to be on the other side of the house due to mobility issues. 

So what options are there for other landline handsets if the old copper wiring is made redundant and the fibre optic router isn't where it's needed?

All Replies

This message was authored by Charliecossie This message was authored by: Charliecossie

Re: Fibre optic installation advice re landline please

You could run a network cable from the ONT to wherever you want to locate the router.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ABCD12345678Is the landline phone you are using just now a corded phone and not a wireless phone you can have anywhere around the house?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
ABCD12345678
Topic Author
This message was authored by ABCD12345678 This message was authored by: ABCD12345678

@Highlinder  you can walk around the house with the handset but the base unit for it needs to be plugged into the new router. So if there are other cordless handsets can they still be used elsewhere in the house, the engineer gave the impression only the one plugged into the router could be used?

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@ABCD12345678You can plug in the base station in the router and have those additional handstes dotted around the house.

ABCD12345678
Topic Author

@Highlinder  is that 100% correct? When the engineer was told this he didn't say that, he just said yes the fibre optic install wasn't ideal if you needed the handset elsewhere so I was under the impression the cordless ones became redundant. Thats annoying if so because I cancelled the install based on what he said. 

@ABCD12345678Cordless handsets would not become redundant. The base station would just need to be plugged into really what then you could term the master socket which then becomes the router.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@ABCD12345678 wrote:

Hello all. Can anyone advise if there is a workaround for this issue please?

Already a Sky broadband user but wanted to upgrade to Fibre Optic broadband. OpenReach engineer visited the other week and said they could only install new router at the front of the house as the optic cable can't go around corners or be bent. However that location is no good for me because the landline phone would need to be plugged into the new router in a room that isn't ideal, ideally the phone needs to be on the other side of the house due to mobility issues. 

Are you sure you had a genuine Openreach engineer and not a Kelly or Quinn subbie?

The fibre cable can be bent and go round corners because with my install it goes round 2 corners from the front to back of my house.

@simon194 wrote:

@ABCD12345678 wrote:

OpenReach engineer visited the other week and said they could only install new router at the front of the house as the optic cable can't go around corners or be bent.

Are you sure you had a genuine Openreach engineer and not a Kelly or Quinn subbie?

The fibre cable can be bent and go round corners because with my install it goes round 2 corners from the front to back of my house.

Same here.  An optical cable certainly doesn't like making sharp right-angle turns, being tucked neatly into corners or having cable clips put in with a lump hammer, but 'bends' aren't a problem.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
ABCD12345678
Topic Author

@simon194  Yes it was Openreach but googling if fibre optic can be bent it does say online it should where possible go in a straight line as the glass inside will snap if bent too much. So I guess unlike copper wiring it can bend slightly but maybe not too much.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ABCD12345678 wrote:

. So I guess unlike copper wiring it can bend slightly but maybe not too much.

No, the key is to bend gradually: fibre is just fine doubled back on itself or even in a spiral coil as long as the minimum bend radius isn't exceeded.  I've got single-core fibre patch cables turning 180 degrees over a few centimetres without a problem, but they break if that bend is pinched tighter.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
ABCD12345678
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood  thank you, so it sounds like the engineer just couldn't be bothered to do it as maybe not as straightforward as other installs? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion