Discussion topic: FTTP over FTTC

This message was authored by Nick110581 This message was authored by: Nick110581

FTTP over FTTC

Sky have offered to upgrade my parents internet from ADSL to FTTP only (say they do not offer FTTC now). 

Their issue is two fold: 

a) they don't need full fibre 

b) full fibre will result in their drive being dug up (it is nice so want to avoid this). Said Openreach will install a box before Enginner visit and we don't need to be in. 

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: FTTP over FTTC

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nick110581 

Can you enter your parents full postal address below and post the table and notes below after removing their address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Nick110581
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nick110581 This message was authored by: Nick110581

Sky.jpg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Nick110581 

Could you post the notes below as well . This will show how the line will be fed as well as existing ducts

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Nick110581
Topic Author

notes.jpg

@Nick110581 

All isps are moving toward fttp where available but as your parents are on adsl with a max of 12 Mbps they should be offered 40 or 80Mbps superfast via fttp  as well as up to 1Gbps

The installation will be overhead cabling so nothing dug up.

The final stage of installation is the ont fibre modem for which someone does need to be in

Nick110581
Topic Author

Thanks cookiemonsteruk

How can you tell that? Will the overhead come into upstairs room? 

Sorry for obvious questions. 

@Nick110581 

Plus 1 stage install and no anticipated issues means if they want to go ahead it should be up and running in around 10-12 days

Nick110581
Topic Author

Cool - where would the OH wire go ?

Do Openreach need to install the grey box before?

@Nick110581 

Beside where it says single dwelling unit in the notes it says OH feed no anticipated issues

And yes it will be a ground level and openreach will install the ont up to 10metres from where the cables enters the house and 3ft from the nearest electric socket..

Nick110581
Topic Author

So need to ensure they run down wall making sure it is tidy?

@Nick110581 

Since sky introduced fttp there have only been a handful of complaints relating to the quality of work usually involving bits and bobs been left behind after they leave. But a cuppa and a few biscuits may help them to show due diligence 😁👍

Nick110581
Topic Author

Amazing. I just need to think where to install now. 

My parents front is pretty tidy.

@Nick110581 

On the day the start the external work and bring the fibre from the telephone pole black connectorised block connector over to the house thats when you can discuss anything else with them.

Assuming the current telephone line is overhead as well where exactly does it enter the house. That may indicate their preferred route

Nick110581
Topic Author

thanks for help

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion