Discussion topic: FTTP Questions

TrebleTA
Topic Author
This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

Re: FTTP Questions

So after some thought can this be done, from the Openreach ONT can i have a eth twin spliter with 1 to a modem be sky or 3ed party and other eth split to a VOIP device or DECT device base. 

This would give me the option of using a 3ed party router and then a sepreat device for the VOIP?

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

No.

You need to use the Sky router and connect to the phone port on the back of it. A third-party router won't work.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TrebleTA 

Originally ONTs were going to have a standalone telephony function, which is why you'll sometimes see a particular model with its own phone port (and battery backup unit for phone use during a local power cut).  However this deployment mode wasn't supported by the ISPs, and such ports now have no viable use.

In terms of network topology, it's not possible to put two routers on one ONT WAN port.  They can be daisychained (one behind the other) but that won't achieve what you appear to be aiming for.

Any 'real' VOIP phone goes on an ethernet port behind a router but  cannot use Sky Talk, and would need a separate VOIP provider subscription.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
TrebleTA
Topic Author

So to use sky voip I have to use there router, even with a 3ed party device with phone socket, it would not work?

So if I cancel the phone and go else where is a better option?

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TrebleTA wrote:

So to use sky voip I have to use there router, even with a 3ed party device with phone socket, it would not work?

That's correct

So if I cancel the phone and go else where is a better option?

Basic Sky Talk ( Pay As You Talk ) is bundled with Sky FTTP and can't be 'cancelled': if you don't have a handset plugged into the Hub then the service will never be used, and doesn't cost you anything.

Using a different router would almost certainly require configuration changes to get it to work with Sky FTTP, and then additional configuration for a VOIP service provider.

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

TrebleTA
Topic Author

At the time I was talking of when I got the install witch was yesterday.

So sky are forcing me to use there hardware. This I do not like, so have called up another company and for less than sky with anytime, they are willing to do voip and get my number off sky too.

This way i do not feel like sky have my back to a wall. And can even use a 3ed party router.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

Also setting up a 3ed party device is simple, as before they use to force us to use there stuff, its wrong, not right, and part blackmailing.

@TrebleTA wrote:

so have called up another company and for less than sky with anytime, they are willing to do voip and get my number off sky too.

Yes, that's always an option.

@TrebleTA wrote:

as before they use to force us to use there stuff, its wrong, not right, and part blackmailing.

BT effectively do exactly the same with their FTTP: it's a choice driven by the cost of providing support.  The main problem currently  is neither ISP has a WiFi6 router and so wireless speed is falling behind that of gigabit FTTP while using non-ISP hardware is problematic for telephony

TrebleTA
Topic Author

That and no wpa3 security, no quality of service, no bufferbload, the list can go on.

Also the way FTTP is now, the ONT is more or less a modem. So it's just a router they need, so cost there side is less.

And should make it so yes for the common user, supply the basic. But for the advance user. Be fully supportive, not forcing you to anything.

@TrebleTA 

WiFi 6 and WPA 3 will arrive when there's global manufacturing capacity again (and if certain countries stop locking up their workforce)

Other 'features' just add cost for the 99% of subscribers who will never use them.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

Yes, sorry just edited my last message. Why they should make it more simple, for them selfs and the user

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@TrebleTA wrote:

so have called up another company and for less than sky with anytime, they are willing to do voip and get my number off sky too.

Yes, that's always an option.

You have to watch out transfering a number from a bundled package because it can cause the broadband to be cancelled when the number is transfered.

Topic Author

Well on vodaphone they use a Grandstream HG201, but you would then need some info that vodaphone will give with hassle. Not sure on sky, but would need 

User id
Password
Server
Proxy server
SIP port

Yes and why I'm looking at it now, as I have 14 days to like or not like it.

Also if I picked another voip provider I would opp for a new number, then just not use the sky one, as they dont charge for it. Else number transfer would prob cost. Not sure if part of the broadband contract.

Thing is, if sky did sort this out for there customers  there prob get more customers from it.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion