Discussion topic: FTTP Advice

This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

FTTP Advice

Hi all, so I've left Now BB and rejoing sky, been told I can not get FTTC anymore, and my phone and net will be FTTP. 

So will be getting a engineer to install the new line,.

First question is with openreach setup. 

My copper cable is run under and up in to my house, will I get somthing similar can they pull it throu, or is the new cable less flexy?

If it can not, hope its not messy, what rights do I have when there fitting, just in case I get a lazy enginerr?

Will ask more after these, saves getting lost.

Thanks in advance

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: FTTP Advice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TrebleTA you can getvan idea of the likely install method by entering your full,address into this checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome the relevant section will be the install process in the furthest right column on the FTTP line. There is also likely to be a line of text about your particular circumstances in the notes. You can usually decode these by running a Google search so my line says KC12 assure which means extra work is probably required so orders will take longer. The notes say there is a pre-built infrastructure inmybroad but from there it is a soft dig (grass flower beds etc) rather than digging up drives which is misleading in my case.

I am in the process of getting my own home connected Openreach sent an engineer out to do a survey he discovered that the copper cable is of the armoured type and buried directly for the run from the junction box without using a duct so cannot be used to pull the fibre through. He discussed with me alternative routings and marked up with a spray can the route which best suited me and minimised the amount of digging required. Unfortunately my dig work is delayed by the current strikes. 

You have no control of who will do the work but they will normally try to give you what you want if its practical.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TrebleTA wrote:

My copper cable is run under and up in to my house, will I get somthing similar can they pull it throu, or is the new cable less flexy?

If 'under and up in to' means an underground duct which then had the house built on top of it, realistically that may not be accessible enough to get a new fibre run through (ours certainly wasn't).  Openreach are more likely to use an external duct and then put their CSP on an outside wall, witl the fibre pigtail going through a new hole to the interior ONT.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
TrebleTA
Topic Author

When the house was built, the copper line gos from out side in to a gray tube that gos under the house then up in to the hallway, the tube is about 1/2 inch to a inch wide, my copper cable is slack too can easy pull back and forth, so as you say really depends on the engineer, the man hole is about 2-3 meter away.

So if they come throu the wall I will now have to let them run a cable around. I have 4 lan cable running around I've done and all hidden but 1 cable. The only spare plug socket is by my master socket, yet it's a single socket, and is used when hovering, dam this is going to be pain, guess I will need change and cut out the plug socket so it's a double outlet.

yes I have to wait over a month to get installed.

Yet sky have come back and said there is a problem so will call later on. Prob down to wanting to keep my old phone number.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
TrebleTA
Topic Author

Also what I get from bt site, using my incorrect address info.

Screenshot_20221021-110721_Chrome.jpg

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

The double socket is to cater for the ONT & Hub power connections. You can use an extension if you only have one socket. The Hub can be far away from ONT, just use a long Ethernet cable 😉

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

You can buy a "single to double" mains faceplate which will fit in the single backbox. A few places do them - Screwfix/B&Q etc. That'll save you the bother of cutting the plasterboard to fit a double backbox.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

thanks for the replys, yes i could but do like it looking tidy.

So next is the housephone, it will now connect to the sky hub, has the hub got its own port for this or is it a adaptder to port, also has the newer hub got a bridge mode if so will it affect the phone?

There's a phone socket on the hub; no bridge mode & if you use a third party router then the VoIP (phone) won't work.

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@TrebleTA wrote:

thanks for the replys, yes i could but do like it looking tidy.

So next is the housephone, it will now connect to the sky hub, has the hub got its own port for this or is it a adaptder to port, also has the newer hub got a bridge mode if so will it affect the phone?

@TrebleTA 

'Phone will connect to the rear of the Sky Hub.

Still no bridge mode on the Sky Hub sadly. 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
TrebleTA
Topic Author

so would have to run in a dmz mode,  I thinked sky would of added a bridge mode by now.

Do any of the other mass-market ISPs have a bridge mode?

Oh and the Virgin "bridge mode" on their routers isn't anything of the sort, its more a DMZ than bridge.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

Guess tho, once this tech has been out abit, we will get routers with ip phone setup, or is there a 3ed party device like the old vigor modem, that has phone support?

No you won't on Sky. The VoIP is delivered over an IPv6 subnet from the main /56 PD allocation.

You can get that to work via some third party routers depending on the exposed functionality (you can do it on Mikrotik CCR routers for sure, although its a PITA) or put the Sky router itself on an IPv6 subnet from a third party router.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

thanks for the advice, so it be best to putt my router on a DMZ of the sky hub.

I was using a DSL-AX82U, but will disable the dsl part, use to use a similar setup years ago,  Why can they not make a bridge mode, for us.

Will prob sell the asus device, and get a better work around, once it's all settled. 

Called Sky they had to redo the order, as keeping my old phone number was not allowed and failing, had the number 17+years.

Sky should have a option to just get a modem or now a way to use our own hardware better, they have all other options from broadband boost this and that.

Well now to way over a month for the fitting.

Thank you all for the advice.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion