Discussion topic: External cable

This message was authored by icb2505 This message was authored by: icb2505

External cable

Hi . We have sky talk broadband and tv but the cable running from external bt box to router is on its last legs . Who do I contact to fix to line into router ? 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: External cable

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@icb2505 

By external BT box, what exactly do you mean? From your Openreach ONT, Telephone socket or the external cable that runs down/around your house?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
icb2505
Topic Author

Hi James it's the openreach ONT grey box outside front door 

@icb2505 

So I think from your description that would be the ethernet cable from the ONT to the router.

Sky dont supply or replace these you can get them for a few £s on sites like Amazon.

If you want to post a photo of the cable you mean just to make sure we are talking about the right one that would be useful

I am NOT a Sky Employee
icb2505
Topic Author

Hi @icb2505 

That is a copper telephone line coming into your phone socket, not the ONT. It does look to be a poor install and poor quality. I think your best option would be to talk it through with Sky and see if they will offer an engineer to come and clean it up a bit because that cable is not user serviceable as its Openreaches property & network.

I've escalated your post to Sky. Look out for a chat bubble/message on the forum. This may not be until tomorrow now.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
icb2505
Topic Author

IMG_6477.jpeg

icb2505
Topic Author

IMG_6478.jpeg

icb2505
Topic Author

Yes it's a grey cable from external ONT 

icb2505
Topic Author

Oh thank you 

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating. We've sent an invite to @icb2505.

Thanks
Tom
This message was authored by Joannew1973 This message was authored by: Joannew1973

I have exactly the same problem! Have had BT out several times. Engineer has confirmed that cable has deteriorated and the only solution is to have a new cable fitted to the exterior of the house (external box is downstairs, router is on opposite side of house on first floor). I contacted sky on December and explained all of this. They then sent a BT engineer again while I was at work and I got a text to say the fault was fixed. It isn't! Connection still dropping out. I'm so frustrated as I just want it fixing but Sky are not listening. Can someone from Sky please help me??

This message was authored by Joannew1973 This message was authored by: Joannew1973

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Joannew1973 Sky cannot insist Openreach replaces the external cable they can only ask. If an engineer has already come out and declined to do the work it is pretty pointless asking again unless the cable is in worse condition and affecting the service. You can run the connection test in the My Sky app to check the sevice that should book an engineer if there is a connection fault.

Given Openreach plan to decommission the copper network in the next few years as the fibre replacement becomes available so are far less willing to sort minor issues.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

I explained to Sky that I am willing to pay to have the cable replaced, because as I understand it, they have to arrange it with Openreach. My frustration is that despite me explaining the numerous visits and knowing what the issue is. sky still just did what they have done numerous times. Which  

is to send an Openreach engineer when I'm not home and then tell me it's fixed.

i am paying for a service which is intermittently faulty as my broadband/wifi continually drops out meaning I can't watch any streaming TV or work from home.

i am going around in circles and not prepared to put up with it until the day comes when they upgraded to fibre. The issue is with the cable within the walls of my house. Not the cabinet nor the cable from the cabinet to ky house. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion