Discussion topic: Extending Sky Hub Wifi Range Using Powerline

This message was authored by Saam96 This message was authored by: Saam96

Extending Sky Hub Wifi Range Using Powerline

I am having problems with my Wifi Signal since moving to Sky Broadband. I live in a house that has 2 foot thick solid stone walls which is causing issues with the wifi signal. With my previous provider I was able to use Powerline Boosters to improve the signal throughout the whole property. 

Sky does not seem to like the Powerline Extenders, they set up correctly but within 5 minutes the Internet Light on the hub goes Orange and the Broadband Signal completely dies. Why does Sky block the use of powerline adapters?

If I wasn't in contact this service would 100% be cancelled as I have never experienced this issue with other providers. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can boost my wifi signal whilst I am still in contact?

Thanks 

Sam

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Extending Sky Hub Wifi Range Using Powerline

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Saam96 wrote:

Why does Sky block the use of powerline adapters?

There's never been any indication this is the case.

Have you reset the adapters back to factory condition since switching ISP?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Saam96
Topic Author

Yes I reset my orginal ones to factory settings which didn't work. I even bought a brand new set to see if it was due to the age of my original ones. 

The new ones I tried were these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N1HDMFR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Saam96 wrote:

Yes I reset my orginal ones to factory settings which didn't work. I even bought a brand new set to see if it was due to the age of my original ones. 

The new ones I tried were these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N1HDMFR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It looks like you have a loop between the hub and the powerlines which is flooding the network which then causes the internet to drop. I'm assuming you have setup and separate SSID for the powerline network.

Topic Author

Yes I was just using the default SSID's, I didn't get to the point of cloning the SSID's 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Saam96 

Your not on G.Fast ultrafast by chance?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by 123person This message was authored by: 123person

@Saam96 wrote:

Why does Sky block the use of powerline adapters?

I have the same problem.

I use a slave powerline for a non-sky application and it worked very well under a previous ISP supplier. The Sky hub ethernet sockets are managed in my opinion. A solution to this I found was to unplug the cable at the slave powerline for about 10 sec then replug and the speed is restored.

Looking at the sky router ethernet ports lights I see the powerline cable has one orange and one green light. Is this what you get?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion