Discussion topic: Extend network - Sky Hub

This message was authored by LongstockPip This message was authored by: LongstockPip

Extend network - Sky Hub

Hi,

I have just had SKY Hub installed with the full fibre connection.

Our old provider was Virgin and I had a TP Link extender to connect both wirelessley and via ethernet up in our office. I changed the name of the SSID on this so that the WI-FI network was seemless throught the house. I have Sky Q and a mini box in the kitchen/family room, as our wifi was a little patchy I used an old Virgin hub and connected it via ethernet and positioned it in the kitchen/family room using the ethernet ports to connect the playstation and a external hard drive, I also renamed the SSID so that it matched the main Virgin hub and provdied seemless WIFI downstairs also.

Now, after the swap to Sky broadband this week, I reconfigured the TP Link extender so it now has the new Sky SSID and that is working perfectly. My issue in the old Virgin SuperHub 2. I reset the hub, changed the SSID and thought I had done the job, but  when the hub is swtched on it clashes with the SKY hub and causes all sorts of issues.

So, as the hub is old I was thinking that it may just be easier to replace the old Virgin hub with a device that provides ethernet ports and a wifi extender too, but if I do that can anyone suggest a suitable device that isnt going to break the bank and any tips I should think about/avoid when setting it up?

its worth adding that I have enabled the hotspots on the Sky Q boxes - does anyone know if the range is good? I live in a victorian house that has been extended so the wifi range isnt always that good. if the range from these hotspots is good then I assume I could just buy a small netgear switch (like this https://www.netgear.com/uk/business/wired/switches/unmanaged/gs105/ ) and that would porvide me with the ethernet ports i need in the kitchen/family room and the Sky Q mini would prpovde the extended wifi.

Phew, thanks if you have got this far - I know a bit about networking but not loads (probably a dangerous combination 🙂 )

All Replies

LongstockPip
Topic Author
This message was authored by LongstockPip This message was authored by: LongstockPip

Re: Extend network - Sky Hub

Can anyone help please?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LongstockPip your old Virgin hub is a router so is the Sky hub having both on the network will cause significant issues which could be managed by segmenting the network but devices linked to the Sky hub would not be able to "see" devices on the Virgin hub or vice versa. You can add third party wifi access points like your TP Link extender some routers have "Access Point" modes but doubt your Virgin hub is one of them.

Separate point with Sky broadband where you have Sky Q boxes the wifi becomes a mesh network where each box works as a nodecenabling data to pass seamlessly adding any third party unit likej your TP-Link unit can cause interference as while it msy havevthe same SSID it cannot become a mesh node. If you have bought Sky's Broandband Plus bundle Sky will send you a booster free of charge which supports the mesh. You should be able to buy one online but get the type which looks like a white version of your hub.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
LongstockPip
Topic Author

Thanks for your reply @Chrisee, I understand regarding the old VM router, it makes sense completley.

I would get a booster but if the Sky Q boxes as Access Points are going to interfere with the TP Link extenders I will need to obtain  a device with ethernet ports (and wifi extender) to connect my Play station and external hard drive - any suggestions on make/model to buy as it looks like the booster doesnt have ethernet ports on the back of it.

thanks

@LongstockPip Sky boosters have a single ethernet port and can act as wifi to ethernet bridge (or the otherway round). While you can buy a cheap ethernet switch to share that connection it seems pointless as speeds cannot be higher than the wifi signal to the booster.

Assuming direct ethernet from the hub to a switch is impossible Powerline adapters can be the answer these come as kits and push the data through your mains wiring which can work and is normally better than wifi. If you use a pair od those to connect to a booster's ethernet port then thst can be a good method.I used these myself to get round a wifi dead zone in my home but I used a Q box instead of a booster.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
LongstockPip
Topic Author

Hi @Chrisee,

I have a long line ethernet cable that is connected to my SKY hub and runs through the ceiling (under 100m) to my second location, so my assumption is that I could buy a device that i could plug this ethernet cable into and the other wired devices i have in the second location, what I also would like is for that device to have a wifi capability so that I can connect to my wifi on my patio which is not far from the second location. I cant use powerline adapters in this location because they are installed on a different mains ring so not possible. My problem is I dont know what exactly to buy, it really doesnt seem that the sky booster will give me what I need - can you advise on what to go and look for, even if you cant advise a specific brand? thanks

@LongstockPip if you have an ethernet feed either a Sky booster or a Q TV box will act as a wifi hotspot extending your Sky hub's wifi signal seamlessley as they can act as an ethernet to wifi bridge. Failing that a simple wifi access point could be used but your devices would have to log on and off the two networks as you move around the house. If getting a Sky booster get one that looks like a white version of your hub. Sky dont sell boosters and only give them out yo customers with the Sky Broadbsnd Boost add on you can pick them up online normally from ebay or similar.

Powerline will work normally across different ring mains as long as there are connected to the same consumer unit. My own network used powerline adapters for several years feeding Q tv boxes which gave me good wifi in a 3 level home.

LongstockPip
Topic Author

Thanks @Chrisee, if I bought the WiFi access point could I not just rename it with the same SSID as the Sky Hub?

I really do need the ability to have both a device with both WiFi and Ethernet ports. 

@LongstockPip You could but wifi from the access point wont join the Sky wifi mesh and it could interfere in areas where both have coverage. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion