Discussion topic: EE 4G Not Conecting with Sky Q Box

This message was authored by Dagorlad This message was authored by: Dagorlad

EE 4G Not Conecting with Sky Q Box

Hi All

I've recently switched both my Broadband ( Upgraded existing EE Broadband to Full Fibre Max 100 without landline) & my Sky+ HD to Sky Q.

The Sky Engineer who replaced my old box for the Sky Q did say at the time that he was aware of issues between EE & Sky Q however everything seemed to work well after initial setup (though this was connected to my 'old' EE Broadband). At the same time I had been having issues with getting the new EE Broadband connected - seems there was an issue with the cabling to my house and they were working to solve it - an openreach guy who inspected told me they needed to dig up the road outside to connect to a different box so would take some time to organise. As a consequence I remained on the existing broadband & Landline arrangement I had previously. The new Sky Q box was supplied, fitted and was working fine. Then to my horror my connection to my house was cut by BT - it seems that EE failed to advise them not to disconnect me despite assurances given when talking to them! At this point EE sent me a MIFI box with limitless data for me to use. This has given my internat at home and allowed me to continue working from home when necessary and also be connected for laptops/tablets/phones/Alexa etc. However connecting to the Sky Q box is a different matter. The connection to the box is constantly dropping and I am unable to download anything at all (internet drops all the time : going into settings you can see the 'tick' changing to a cross then returning to a tick constantly) Also when trying to view anything downloaded the picture reduces to a small rectangle and moves around the screen then eventually freezes/dies. I am not technical at all so completely lost when reading through forums on both Sky & EE  to try to understand the issues. Anyone able to explain in very basic language what is happening - and can it be easily fixed? Maybe using the MiFi is an issue, but going forward whenever EE sort out the connection into my house will this solve it or not (I fear the latter) Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: EE 4G Not Conecting with Sky Q Box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dagorlad wrote:

going forward whenever EE sort out the connection into my house will this solve it or not (I fear the latter)

EE 'Full Fibre Max 100' is just wholesale FTTP carried over Openreach optical cabling (and EE is just rebadged BT, or possibly vice-versa).  There's no reason Q shouldn't be fine using that.

A 'MIFI box' is pulling in cellular data though, and that's very different: Q is known to sometimes struggle with cellular broadband.

You might also need to consider where the MIFI box is in relation to the main Q box, as it may be the local WiFi that's causing the issue.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Dagorlad
Topic Author

Thanks for your response. So from what you are saying, it is probably understandable that problems would exist with connecting to the MiFi box, but going forward when I evetually get the connection to my house and the new router up and running I should expect it to connect & work ok with my Sky Q box?  BTW the MiFi unit is sat next to the Sky Q box.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Dagorlad wrote:

when I evetually get the connection to my house and the new router up and running I should expect it to connect & work ok with my Sky Q box? 

Yes, there are hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of Q boxes running off BT/EE/Plusnet FTTP

BTW the MiFi unit is sat next to the Sky Q box.

Weirdly, right next to it might not be ideal: WiFi is strange like that.

Dagorlad
Topic Author

Ok, thank you. I'll sit tight and wait for EE to sort out my connection and see what happens when it's eventually sorted. In the mean time I might knock on their door to see how they intend to compensate me for the inconveinience they've cause. Thanks again, greatly appreciated.

@Dagorlad wrote:

In the mean time I might knock on their door to see how they intend to compensate me for the inconveinience they've cause.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat... 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion