@AC7 how are you testing this

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Jason2310 This message was authored by: Jason2310

Re: Download speed

I recently upgraded to Sky's Gigafast Internet with an advertised speed of 900Mbps and a guaranteed speed of 600Mbps.

When I check my download speed on various internet sites like SpeedTest I am not getting anywhere near the 600Mbps and now my current speed is 32Mbps but the Sky checker says everything is fine.

Sky Q 2TB, 2 Mini Boxes, Sky Fibre.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jason2310 & @AC7 soeedtest results on devices give the slowest part of the link from the server to the device which is over whelmingly likely to be the speed of the wifi network in your home which is why to test a full fibre connection it is important to use a known fast link which is a direct Gigabit ethernet cable from the hub tomthe device..

It is possible full fibre connections are running slower than they should but it is pretty rare as there is no speed loss in the link from the exchange to the ONT. Therefore before Sky will really take reports seriously run a test on a cabled device with nothing else running.

Improving your home's wifi speeds is a whole different can of worms.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Thanks for the info Chrisee.

I have noticed a considerable drop in speed in the evenings so I do need to speak to Sky.

I have just run a speedtest on my TV which is connected via ethernet cable to the router and the best speed I got was under 90Mbps.

As I type this now, the speed of the pages loading is slow.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Jason2310 

TVs only usually have ethernet chipsets that go up to 100mbps because there is zero usecase for a TV to be able to stream at speeds faster than 100mbps. 

If your getting around 90mbps then that is right as you lose around 10% of the speed to network overheads.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Thanks for that.

Spoke with Sky again today and the advisor told me to get a Cat 8 Ethernet cable as that would help the Wifi speeds so that is what I have done and I will update once it arrives.

There is also a massice discrepancy between the DL speeds in the day and in the evening.

Earlier today, my SpeedTest registered over 350Mbps but now tonight it is around 100Mbps.

@Jason2310 wrote:

Thanks for that.

Spoke with Sky again today and the advisor told me to get a Cat 8 Ethernet cable as that would help the Wifi speeds so that is what I have done and I will update once it arrives.

Utter rubbish from the Sky advisor. Cat5e is sufficent & Cat6 is recommended. Anything higher is useless in a domestic deployment.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@Jason2310 wrote:

There is also a massice discrepancy between the DL speeds in the day and in the evening.

Earlier today, my SpeedTest registered over 350Mbps but now tonight it is around 100Mbps.

But what device is this on? This kind of speed fluctuation is expected over a WiFi connected device because usage in the WiFi space changes throughout the day. Over ethernet you should see consistent speeds not matter the time of day

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Hi James,

What sort of Wifi speed should I be getting then?

I do the Speedtests on my Surface Laptop. I use SpeedTest.net and broadband speed test - Google Search. They are both really close to each other in terms of the results.

I did the tests this morning and got close to 400Mbps but now I am getting 150Mbps. All I want is a consistent speed. There is just me in the house right now.

I have bought a Cat 8 Ethernet cable as well and now I need to ring Sky to get them to refund me as that is what the advisor said.

@Jason2310 

There is no set speed that you 'should' get its completely down to the local WiFi interference, client device & server load. 150-400mbps is very good for WiFi 5, is there any reason you are concerned about your speed changing from 400mbps to 150mbps over WiFi? There is very little use case for speeds like this during day to day usage. If you wanted the highest speed all the time you'd need to connect your surface directly to the hub via ethernet, you just dont need CAT8.  

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion