Discussion topic: Does TP Link Deco X50 work with Sky Hub ?

This message was authored by 1topgazza This message was authored by: 1topgazza

Does TP Link Deco X50 work with Sky Hub ?

I ask the question because although delighted with the help I've received here TP Link have only just replied to the above query. Profuse apologies from them for the delay to be fair

However  they said the the Deco X50, presumably other X mesh systems,  20 and 60 work as well, have Option 61

can anyone confirm this please ?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Does TP Link Deco X50 work with Sky Hub ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@1topgazza 

Tp link have never really published any list about dhcp option 61 compatible routers so it has always been difficult for us to confirm. Generally we have advised people with tp link routers to use dhcpv6 prefix delegation.

Are you on a superfast fttc line or ultrafast?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
1topgazza
Topic Author

Thanks. I'm on FTTC 

Yes it's certainly not clear. Hopefully someone has experienced installing these.

For me it's a "temporary" solution until I move and then I'll install a TP Link AP  Omaha

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@1topgazza 

Is the x50 a combined modem router?

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

1topgazza
Topic Author

No just a mesh router. I'll plug it into one of the Ethernet ports on the back of my SR 203

@1topgazza 

Ah, with you now. Yes it will work with the wifi switched off on the sky hub and the tp link set to access point

1topgazza
Topic Author

Confirmed my thoughts. Thank you. I will check to see if it gives me the option 61 in the settings

@1topgazza 

In access point mode dhcp option 61 isn't required as the sky hub is still authenticating with sky servers. 

1topgazza
Topic Author

That's true

i guess AP works just as well. But I'm interested to see if the Deco has it 😀

@1topgazza 

Generally all tp link modem routers have it but standalone routers don't.

Even if it did you would have to buy a vdsl modem bridge in order for the ax50 to obtain the public ip address.

But it should work with sky fttp directly connected to the ont fibre modem using dhcpv6 pd (when fttp arrives in your area)

1topgazza
Topic Author

Yes, all TP Link VR modem routers have it. The AX range, that I like don't 😕

I was tempted to get. VR2800, still might, as my Sky SR203 actually gives OK WiFi even on the 3rd floor,, so I was wondering if the VR2800 WiFi will be better and therefore good enough for now.  Not WiFi 6 but that's ok for now. Might try it as an alternative first

@1topgazza 

The tp link vr2100 is onemesh capable. In other words any other onemesh compatible router will autmatically add itself to the mesh

1topgazza
Topic Author

I would have thought someone here would either be using a Deco X20,50,60 or had tried it and could confirm if IPoE / option 61 or even MER was in the settings. Maybe they're so depressed at it not being there they can't raise themselves 😀

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Deco X20 doesn't - I have a set in a box I don't use.

I'd be surprised if any of the Deco range supports either IPoE or Opt61 - they don't even work with other "non-Deco" TP-Link products

1topgazza
Topic Author

What's funny is I have an ongoing Monty Python like debate with TP Link support, in China I think.  Essentially I ask them what does the Deco X range use to authenticate with my ISP in the UK. Is it PPPoE ? Do they, like their VR range of modem routers have an option for IPoE / option 61 in the settings.
Latest reply like all of the never answers the question asked, says, yes our X systems connect via Ethernet cable. The other replies are variations of that. I have painstakingly pointed out what I am asking for is NOT how the mesh router connects to the modem. But so far no joy

its become something of a challenge now to get a correct answer. Bizzare

I think I am settled that worse case is mesh router as an AP device with the others wireless. Although I could hard wire the mesh router from the second Ethernet port on it to the next satellite as I have an existing cable. That will work as well as a pure mesh I guess anyway 

the x20 is a possibility as I don't have a particularly difficult house regarding walls etc. most are stud

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion