Discussion topic: DISABLING WPS

This message was authored by Andaem This message was authored by: Andaem

DISABLING WPS

Is it possible to disable WPS on a Sky Broadband Hub?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: DISABLING WPS

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andaem 

Log onto your hub by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of preferably a chrome browser 

Username    admin

Password      sky or wifi password on the back of the hub

Click wifi along the top and go to 2.4ghz you will see this page

Screenshot_20231007_001208_Chrome.jpg

Untick where it says enable wps in the wifi access point section and then do the same for 5ghz

However not sure why you would do this

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Andaem 

If you disable WPS and have Sky Q then you'll break that setup.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mae-3 wrote:

@Andaem 

If you disable WPS and have Sky Q then you'll break that setup.

Break that setup mode going forward, I'd think: presumably any previously connected boxes remain connected.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Andaem 

However not sure why you would do this

WPS permits linking without knowing any credentials so it is a security risk where someone has physical access to the Hub (such as a family member who isn't supposed to have WiFi)

The PIN mode is also cryptographically flawed.

This message was authored by Daveyboy1234 This message was authored by: Daveyboy1234

I also was wanting to disable WPS as read that it's a security issue as really easy to break into router by using pin WPS. 

however when I ticked disabled. A box came up and said something like if any sky q devices are on network then disabling may cause issues etc and you should leave WPS on. 

has anyone got the sky q setup with sky broadband and then disabled WPS? If so was there any issues? 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Daveyboy1234 

Yes it can cause issues with Sky Q because that is how they connect to your hub. If you have Sky Q i would not recommend switching it off. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@Daveyboy1234 wrote:

has anyone got the sky q setup with sky broadband and then disabled WPS? If so was there any issues? 

There would be a problem with reconnecting the Q television boxes to the Hub, if that became necessary.

This message was authored by Daveyboy1234 This message was authored by: Daveyboy1234

Thank you for your responses. 

that is what I was thinking that due to sky q then they ideally need to stay switched on for WPS and assume you can't just disable the pin WPS and leave button only?

is it much of a risk though? Its just when you read articles they all seem to say about turning of WPS as the pin part is not secure and can be easily hacked etc. is that true? 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Daveyboy1234 

Really not an issue to leave on. Unless you make some very powerful enemies nobody is going to attempt to hack your WPS!

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@Daveyboy1234 wrote:

is it much of a risk though? Its just when you read articles they all seem to say about turning of WPS as the pin part is not secure and can be easily hacked etc. is that true? 

Hopefully the ability to input PIN digits has been throttled by a firmware update: this renders a brute-force attack unviable.  As @jamesn123 indicates, unless you are being targeted by a state security agency or similar opponent then such 'vulnerabilities' are entirely pretty much theoretical anyway: for a start it has to be conducted within wireless range.

Thank you both again. Makes sense now to me and completely get it. Appreciate your help. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion