Discussion topic: Replacing Sky Router.

This message was authored by Rocket11617 This message was authored by: Rocket11617

Replacing Sky Router.

Good Afternoon, 

I am in need of some assistance - I am 68 years old and often struggle with sky broadband and technology as a whole I have been having issues with the standard sky router/modem for some time and purchased the TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 as a replacement but do not know if I need to purchase a separate modem that can be compatible with sky broadband and the router. 

image.jpg

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Replacing Sky Router.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rocket11617 

With that older er115 hub you would need a dsl modem router or a a seperate dsl modem plus a router.

However that particular make of tp link probably wouldn't work with sky anyway

Look at the asus dsl ac modem routers and you wouldn't go far wrong

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Rocket11617 

With that older er115 hub you would need a dsl modem router or a a seperate dsl modem plus a router.

However that particular make of tp link probably wouldn't work with sky anyway

Look at the asus dsl ac modem routers and you wouldn't go far wrong

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Rocket11617 

As always its a case of budget and requirements

The asus dsl ax82u would be top of the dsl modem routers and entry level wifi 6 modem router however any asus dsl ac modem router will give you better wifi and can be meshed together

Rocket11617
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rocket11617 This message was authored by: Rocket11617

Thanks for the swift replies, do I should definitely cancel the TP ax3000? 

I'll have a good browse on the ASUS website - so far I can't make my mind up between these two - https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-dslax82u-wifi-modem-router-ax-5400-dualband-10222380.html?ist...

https://www.asus.com/uk/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax82u/where-to-bu...

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Rocket11617 

The tp link can be used as an access point etherneted to the sky hub with the sky hub wifi turned off as with the asus rt ax82u

The asus dsl ax82u would work with sky as a modem router to replace the sky hub completely

@Rocket11617 

This would be my choice

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-dslax82u-wifi-modem-router-ax-5400-dualband-10222380.html

Rocket11617
Topic Author

 Thanks for the reply, 

I am looking up the setup process on YouTube and got a bit lost as they connect it to a modem and then a fellow viewer asked this :

IMG_0015.png

My plan is to set this up as both a wireless network and connect my ps5 via Ethernet to enhance streaming in 4k 

@Rocket11617 

It is the dsl bit in asus dsl 82u that shows it has a modem. 

The asus rt ax82u is just a router

So be careful when ordering those comments don't mention if its a dsl modem model or rt router model

If you post your hub stats then we could confirm your connection type

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

Rocket11617
Topic Author

IMG_0017.png

Rocket11617
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply - this was the video I snapped the screenshot from / https://youtu.be/pqgzPe9Rg7E?si=Cb87eFnqq_feLyQO

@Rocket11617 

Ok , before forking out on a new modem router you appear to have a very bad line fault

Could you run tests from the broadband section of your my sky app or sky.com account and click on your broadband speed. After that click on check you broadband in the blue box and post the results 

@Rocket11617 

@Rocket11617 wrote:

Thanks for the reply - this was the video I snapped the screenshot from / https://youtu.be/pqgzPe9Rg7E?si=Cb87eFnqq_feLyQO

That is for the asus rt ax82u.  If you go ahead you need the asus dsl ax82u.  But you appear to have a line fault that even a new router won't fix

Rocket11617
Topic Author

a line fault? What should I do? 

@Rocket11617 

Trying to get to the bottom of it.  Are you resetting the hub frequently ? What speed were you told you would get ? Any idea what you guaranteed speed. Try the steps a few posts back to see if you can find and post your minimum guaranteed speed

Rocket11617
Topic Author

I rarely reboot the WiFi unless there is an issue. 

I honestly have no idea what I'm looking for. 

IMG_0018.jpeg

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion