Discussion topic: DHCP not consistent with routers management IP

This message was authored by Massiveone This message was authored by: Massiveone

DHCP not consistent with routers management IP

I'm moving from Virgin to Sky this week and I'm just setting up the router to save time, but already hit a hurdle.

I use a 255.255.0.0 subnet and I only use dhcp for wifi devices so for instance 192.168.4.x will be all my wifi devices while 192.168.3 are static ip Ethernet devices. I have hundreds of iot memory cards baked with this setup. 

But my SR203 thinks 192.168.1.1/255.255.0.0 is inconsistent with a dhcp range of 192.268.4.1 - 192.168.4.100

Does anyone know what its problem is, it's a perfectly valid IP config. I have a dream machine pro that runs virgin & StarLink so swapping Virgin for sky option 61 is likely, I just wanted to test it's wifi out before switching. 

All Replies

Massiveone
Topic Author
This message was authored by Massiveone This message was authored by: Massiveone

Re: DHCP not consistent with routers management IP

That is a typo on the 192.268, it is 192.168 🙂

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Massiveone 

It is a suitable class B subnet that you are using when the Sky Hub doesn't permit it is a bug in the Sky Hub firmware! 😎

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Massiveone 

If you have hundreds of IOT devices I would recommend you stay away from Sky broadband or at least not use the Sky hub because its well known to become overwhelmed after around 32-64 devices. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Massiveone
Topic Author

yeah its not that I have hundreds of devices, just hundreds of images that when written to a device, expect to power up and find themselves in a given subnet. All good, I didnt intend to use the Hub anyway.

Massiveone
Topic Author

Thanks for the heads up. BT were in this morning and I had my UDM-Pro pre-configured to take sky as Wan2 replacing starlink.  Logged in instantly to sky and works beautifully so didn't need the hub in the end.  Latency 3ms vs virgin 14ms so pretty happy with it.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion