Discussion topic: Connections to main box constantly dropping out

This message was authored by Cfcdoc This message was authored by: Cfcdoc

Connections to main box constantly dropping out

Ok some context, have a sky q set up with main box in lounge downstairs  and 2 main boxes upstairs in bedrooms . I was previously with virgin and connected the main sky q box to my virgin router via lan. I then switched the Wi-Fi off on the router and plugged my own extender in and connected the mini boxes to the extended Wi-Fi network . I then moved providers to toot and rather stupidly agreed to have the box installed further away from my sky q box on another wall in the lounge meaning the main sky q box is now connecting via Wi-Fi to my extended network with the toob routers own Wi-Fi being switched off. The problem is now that the mini boxes frequently disconnect from the main box . I've even tried switching the routers Wi-Fi on in the vain hope that i can connect the main box to toobs own Wi-Fi whilst other devices into my extended network but likely that just creates more congestion. I've tried messing around with 2..4 and 5ghz settings on the main box but the problem persists with the main box very occasionally also losing network connection . Interestingly when I had the toob router Wi-Fi on and the main box periodically lost connection to it, i would go to settings and network and find that the sky box by itself would attempt to connect to my extended network and not what I'd asked it to connect to( toob router network) without me switching or asking for a change of network if that makes sense .

im in the process of trying to ask toob to move the router so i can connect my main box via lan but can anyone think of a work around or advice 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Connections to main box constantly dropping out

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Cfcdoc Sky Q minis will not operate if networked to any wifi excepte for a signal from a Sky Q box or Sky hub. You can connect them by ethernet to a wifi access point but not to its wifi network. Where there is no Sky wifi network the main box connects using the 2.4GHz band of your home wifi.

The main box produces a 5GHz signal with a Sky SSID which is used to connect the Q minis. This signal will interfere with your new wifi network if it  uses ch36 to 52 as most do. You can reconfigure the Sky boxes to use either ch36 to ch44 or ch44 to 52 in the engineers menu.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Cfcdoc
Topic Author
This message was authored by Cfcdoc This message was authored by: Cfcdoc

This is the bit that confuses me, under the settings tab for the mini boxes there is connection to sky box and network connection. I'm assuming that the connection to sky box is via the sky main boxes own Wi-Fi and the network connection is to my home Wi-Fi or should I switch the network connection to the sky main box Wi-Fi network also 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Cfcdoc 

You are correct. A mini box connects directly to the Sky Q box for its live TV feed & recordings stored on the Sky box. Then for any on demand streaming it connects directly to your WiFi router for broadband. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion