Discussion topic: Configuration of Draytek router for FTTP

This message was authored by gr33no This message was authored by: gr33no

Configuration of Draytek router for FTTP

Hi all!

I hope everyone's keeping safe and well.

I was with Sky once upon a time and left them in 2021 to save a few pennies on the broadband. Nothing decent was available in my area, so I figured getting the cheapest price for our poor broadband was the most sensible option.

Fast-forward to about 6 weeks ago and FTTP is now available (yay!). Openreach came out, rod/roped the line in to my porch and everything was great. However, my install date came and went - twice. Sky said they wouldn't send me a router because I already had one. Technically, I do/did .. as I have their SR203 from back in the day. To say it's beaten up now is an understatement. We had major renovations done and every tradesperson decided to one up the next in either yanking it around, painting it or covering it in plaster!

Long story short, I replaced by Sky/Now-supplied router with a Draytek Vigor 2866 and it was absolutely great. However, I'm struggling to configure it for FTTP. If anyone could help, i'd really appreciate it. 

I know it needs to be on WAN2, I've read that in several places, I've attached some images of my configuration pages around internet/WAN set-up.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-09-26 215803.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 215815.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 215835.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 215844.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 215910.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 215930.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 220012.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 220043.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 220119.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 220151.pngScreenshot 2023-09-26 220207.png

The Username/Password were grabbed from these forums, I think and they worked perfectly for Sky and Now BB. I realise authentication is different these days and while the IPV4 will error with [Username / Pass Error] - the IPV6 does/has connected  - but it doesn't send/receive any data.

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Configuration of Draytek router for FTTP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I think for routers that have the DHCP Option 61 client identifier as Client ID & Password fields it should be set to the following;

Client ID: abc123@skydsl

Password: abc123

Try that and see what happens. Also note that if your Sky router was plugged in previously sometimes you need to leave both the Sky router & your new router unplugged from the line for 10-20mins to ensure the connection has cleared.

@cookiemonsteruk any thoughts?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Unless you are in ROI Sky doesnt use PPPoE for authentication which looks to be where you are going wrong. It should be set to Automatic IP, VLAN ID of 101 & the connection string for DHCP Option 61/MER is abc123@skydsl|abc123

I am NOT a Sky Employee
gr33no
Topic Author

Many thanks @jamesn123 

I did make some changes, but still failed, unfortunatley 🙂

I wasn't sure if the VLAN Tag (101) was for Client or Service - so I added it for both.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 233709.png

I disabled PPPoE fully and made sure it was on the "Static or Dynamic IP" 'mode'... Obtain an IP automatically, added the Option 61 string mentioned, tried with and with a 'password' as well.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 233619.png

Having the connection type set to DHCPv6 Client, it doesn't connect at all. The state is always "Disconnected"

Screenshot 2023-10-03 233743.png

Screenshot 2023-10-03 233857.png

If I set it to Static IPv6 - it connects (to something), but doesn't have any internet connectivity.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 233636.png

Screenshot 2023-10-03 233652.png

I'm sure there's some small detail i'm missing.

Draytek does suggest this is possible - Connect a DrayTek Vigor router to Ultrafast Full-Fibre FTTP Broadband

on that link, there's a section for 'additional steps for Sky' - but I think that only relates to FTTC? Sky Fibre Broadband & Now TV Setup Guide (draytek.co.uk)

Thanks again for your help!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

I think for routers that have the DHCP Option 61 client identifier as Client ID & Password fields it should be set to the following;

Client ID: abc123@skydsl

Password: abc123

Try that and see what happens. Also note that if your Sky router was plugged in previously sometimes you need to leave both the Sky router & your new router unplugged from the line for 10-20mins to ensure the connection has cleared.

@cookiemonsteruk any thoughts?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
gr33no
Topic Author

Brill - thank you!

Other than that, Static IPv6 should be OK? and 101 for the Service and Client Tag is alright? or should it only be on one place?

Much appreciated 🙂

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

IPv6 should be set to DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (PD) for it to work.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
gr33no
Topic Author

Thanks. Unfortunately, there's no option for that. It 'connects' but it doesn't authenticate I'm guessing. No connection to the Internet at all. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

If it still isnt working then the only other thing I can think of is to clear the password field and just have the client identifier box as it was previously. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by Worx24 This message was authored by: Worx24

Did you ever get this working as we exactly the same issue and can find no way to get it work. As Sky are blocking all VOIP calls on their own Router we are stuck. Same setting as yourself and same issue. Valid connection but no gateway IP. 

This message was authored by Worx24 This message was authored by: Worx24

Did you ever get this working as we have exactly the same issue and can find no way to get it work. Your screen replicates what we get (all green, small amounts of data packets but no valid Gateway IP and hence no internet). Sky could not help. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion