Discussion topic: Changing Sky Hub to different router/modem

This message was authored by bulldog77 This message was authored by: bulldog77

Re: Changing Sky Hub to different router/modem

Hi, I'm in the same position and want to change router. We have fibre to door with 500mps near the router. When about 15ft it away it drops to 30mps so no better than before I upgraded... but my sky router has connection at the back for my landline phone and I can't see this port on any of the other  after market types. Will any new router work with sky q, we have 4 mini boxes and the system has been really unstable since changing to fibre to door. Eveything  is connected wirelessly opposed to any hard wiring. 

sorry, probably being thick.... and any help appreciated 

87A9387D-D05A-4850-AB7E-462B2078AA34.jpeg

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bulldog77 

Sky VOIP wont work with any other router, it requires the Sky one. If you need a landline then your only option is to put any router/mesh system you buy into AP mode and connect it to the Sky hub. Or you could just run it in router mode and have double NAT which shouldnt be an issue unless you play online games.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by L-jones This message was authored by: L-jones

@cookiemonsteruk,

Sorry - this may have been answered already...

If I have the ont box like in the picture, does the mean I don't need a modem router and that any router will be compatible to just replace the Sky Hub?

Looking to completely remove the hub and potentially replace it with something like suggested in the original post (TP-Link AX1800).

Thanks.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@L-jones wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk,

Sorry - this may have been answered already...

If I have the ont box like in the picture, does the mean I don't need a modem router and that any router will be compatible to just replace the Sky Hub?

Looking to completely remove the hub and potentially replace it with something like suggested in the original post (TP-Link AX1800).

Thanks.

Correct, the ont box is effectively the new modem

Those instructions where for someone who already had a tp link modem router however the instructions for a standalone router are

Tp link AX is on latest firmware

IPV6 on (advanced menu option)

Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6)

advanced settings: DHCPv6

prefix delegation enabled

DNS address: get dynamically from ISP

IPv6 LAN

SLAAC + stateless DHCP

MAC Clone: Use Default Mac address

The above is called dhcpv6 prefix delegation so you may want to look at routers that also supports sky mer/dhcp client identifier (option 61)

such as the asus rt ax series of similar spec

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by azz134 This message was authored by: azz134

I have got sky fibre to house but the sky hub they gave me has a very poor Wi-Fi signal in some rooms. Which new router should I buy.  

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@azz134 

For sky fttp via an openreach ont

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

You can't go wrong with an 

Asus rt ax56u

Asus rt ax58u

Asus rt ax68u

Asus rt ax82u

Asus rt ax88u

Asus zenwifi xt8 and the higher xt9 etc etc

These will work either as access points etherneted to the sky hub or as fully fledged routers directly connected to the ont

At the end of the day its down to budget v requirement

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@azz134 

Also note that if you don't use the Sky Broadband Hub then there's no known way to access the bundled Sky Talk Internet Calls (voice telephony) provision.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by azz134 This message was authored by: azz134

Thinking of getting the Asus RT-AX82U if it's an easy plug into open reach box and then ASU's install wizard. Just hopefully the wood range on that router is good throughout the house(3 bed terraced) 

This message was authored by PETER11461 This message was authored by: PETER11461

Hi all,

Just a quick question that i am being asked by our it department they are changing the skyhub router for a firewall router and are asking for the broadband username and password. Sky are unwilling to to give this to me any idea how I get this or whether it is needed to change out the router?

Regards Peter

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PETER11461 wrote:

whether it is needed to change out the router?

Any such router needs to be capable of presenting generic Sky credentials in the appropriate manner: not all hardware can do this.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Elim+Garak This message was authored by: Elim+Garak

Hello! I am sorry if this is a stupid question. I am a Virgin Media user and I am thinking about switching to Sky.
At the moment, the Virgin Hub is in modem only mode and I use my ASUS RT-AX86U Pro router to manage all the ethernet/wi-fi connections.
I do not need Sky VoIP.
What would be the exact procedure, software side (I know I have to unplug Virgin Hub, plugin Sky and connect the cable from it to my router :-D), that I would need to follow to use the SKY Hub mantaining my own router? 

Thank you!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Elim+Garak 

The Sky hub does not have modem mode so to replicate the setup you have at the moment with virgin would depend on what service Sky can provide you with and which package you decide to take

- If you are connected over FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet and then copper cable to your home) then you'll need a 3rd party modem to sit behind your Asus router

- If you are connected over FTTP (Fibre to the premises) and get an Openreach optical modem in your home then you can just connected your Asus router directly to that 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@Elim+Garak 

How the asus is set up depends on what connection type you can get with sky  superfast fttc, g.fast or fttp

The first 2 require an appropriate vdsl2 or g.fast modem to use the asus in place of the sky hub

With fttp the asus will also work this time directly connected to the fibre optic ont

This message was authored by Elim+Garak This message was authored by: Elim+Garak

First of all, thank you both for the answers.

I should have FTTP, or at least that's what I have been told when I got the fibre 3 years ago.
If I check my address on Sky's website, it says that I can get up to Gigafast (900 Mb/s).

@jamesn123 , you said "if you get an Openreach optical modem". Is that some kind of "lottery" or I can ask for it specifically when I contact Sky for the switch?

Finally, I would choose the Ultrafast+ connection with Sky Entertainment & Netflix.

Finally, based on the assuption that I have FTTP and get the Openreach optical modem, what is the procedure I should follow to setup everything?

Thank you so much again to both of you @jamesn123  and @cookiemonsteruk , you are being very kind and helpful.

@Elim+Garak 

You would ethernet the asus to the sky hub and sequentially update the asus until it doesn't update anymore

Remove the sky hub and ethernet the asus to the ont and look for client identifier (option 61)  and enter :-

anything@skydsl|anything

And the asus should authenticate fairly quickly

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion