Discussion topic: Cannot make Skype calls

This message was authored by Leanne235321 This message was authored by: Leanne235321

Cannot make Skype calls

Hi all I have sky Q and a booster WiFi box however find that when working from home my laptop works until I need to answer a call. At which point the call becomes very jumpy and almost disconnected for periods of time unless I go and sit right next to the main WiFi box. All test connections show as ok when I check on my account but clearly something isn't up to speed as phone calls will only work when I'm right next to the router. I have sky fibre. 

All Replies

Leanne235321
Topic Author
This message was authored by Leanne235321 This message was authored by: Leanne235321

Re: Cannot make Skype calls

Sorry that sent too soon. I'd really appreciate any advice any has. Thank you.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Leanne235321 

Having Sky Q and WiFi boosters creates a pretty busy mesh almost immediately, now having a mesh sacrifices speed & latency for connection range & stability which is the exact opposite of perfect conditions for Voip calling (Skype).

Your best solution to the problem is to relocate closer to the router, hence avoiding the Sky mesh or connect via an ethernet cable. If a direct cable isnt an option you could look at using powerline adapters instead. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Leanne235321
Topic Author

Hi, thanks unfortunately where I work isn't near the main router as it's on another floor of the house so I have a sky booster as extra. Is it worth me removing the booster?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Leanne235321 

You can try but like I said, using WiFi generally to work from home & making voip calls is not ideal at all and is almost certainly why you are having the problems

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion