Discussion topic: Can't use Sky mobiles with Sky Max Hub and TERRIBLE customer services!

Dana061085
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dana061085 This message was authored by: Dana061085

Re: Can't use Sky mobiles with Sky Max Hub and TERRIBLE customer services!

Yeah a shame really, but we won't be waiting that long, three month tells me they can't find the problem or are unwilling to look due to the very small amount of people who have it. 

We already cancelled our Sky TV subscription and are now talking about cancelling our Sky Talk and Sky Broadband because of this and move to BT, as I belive the router and what encription software it holds is the real problem. A shame as we are VIP mambers who have had everything from Sky for the last nine years. As someone who custom builds PC's as a hobbie for 20 years I know some things about harware/software/glitches and bugs. This is a unique opertunity to look at a rare anomaly and I thought the engineering department would've been all over this for possibly a future firmware update, but unfortunetly the majority of who I spoken to really can't be bothered unless it's a simple switch OFF/ON fix.

The UK Experts Chat box I have isn't open again until monday 8am, so will have to wait till then.

Apologies for my rant but it's just frustrating.

This message was authored by calypsoman This message was authored by: calypsoman

3 months is more than reasonable to fix this will post back if i change provider or if they fix it  not having much hope they will hopefully when enough people leave sky they might finally sort out there network

Dana061085
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dana061085 This message was authored by: Dana061085 Answer

Cancelled Sky Talk and Sky Broadband and moved to BT

I cannot hide my disappointment and anger at Sky right now. Not only did they unexpectedly close down my set up chat box to the "supposed" experts (that offered next to zero information the time I had it), they a few days after closing it implemented changes to my Max Hub (or wherever) and caused my landline to completely ignore ALL incoming calls, and they didn't have the decency to tell me they'd done it. It took us days to realise this and only because we missed a Doctors phone call appointment regarding one of our kids and a call from the primary school. Our house phone now compared to before wouldn't ring or light up or activate the answer machine but strangely it still records a missed call, this had went on undetected for about a week. At least before it was only related to our two Sky mobiles calling home, other networks or landlines could call in fine but not now.

The last conversation I had on the expert chat box I offered my assistance in testing a Beta firmware for the Max Hub as I had previously did lengthy Beta testing on Windows 10, PlayStation, Oculus and IOS and provided good feedback. All I got back was a generic "we will let you know" then the following day they cut my link, then four days after that did some changes on the line without even saying, disgraceful! No idea what kind of work was done as we only got told they had been working on it when we phoned up looking for answers a week later, friends, family, Doctors, School calls all missed.

I have now boxed up my Max Hub and reconnected my old Sky Q Hub and as expected all is working now (including our Landline) but at a reduced WiFi signal and Fiber speed, 450Mbs where before it was around 800Mbs with the Max Hub.

Sky Ive been with you for eight years and never used your customer service before as your Fiber speed actually has been really good, but unfortunately communication with your customers is paramount and the service and most of the individuals I spoke to are useless and only try and get you off the phone by saying "we will escalate this and be in touch" but never do. I have actually lost track of how many phone calls have been made to customer service over the last two months and I was even told there was no point in sending an engineer out, even though we pay for boost. Thanks!

We will be submitting a complaint regarding this and looking to be reimbursed our Sky Talk money that was still taken.

@calypsoman hope you get yours sorted but I've had enough.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dana061085 wrote:

I have now boxed up my Max Hub and reconnected my old Sky Q Hub and as expected all is working now (including our Landline) 

Out of interest, how are you getting landline called over FTTP through a Q Hub?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Dana061085
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dana061085 This message was authored by: Dana061085

@TimmyBGood Hi, Im not sure how many Sky Q Hubs versions there are but its the SR203. Its connected with the same line cable and way as was with the Max Hub. Phone line connected direct to the router.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dana061085 

Ah, that's the Sky Broadband Hub (203/204 from 2019).  The Q Hub (110/115 from 2016) doesn't have an ATA port to attach a telephone handset.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Dana061085
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood My apologies, when I researched on the type of hub it was I must've looked at some wrong information. So it's the verticle Sky broadband Hub, Ok now I know for sure, thanks.

This message was authored by calypsoman This message was authored by: calypsoman

will ask to change  mobile provider if not sorted by next week given them more than enough time sky keep sending me text messages saying were still managing the fault thanking me for my patience  which has now run out  will update 

last night had 2 spam calls come through so tried to access the sky talk shield page online but as usal pages dont work so i rang sky on 150  with my landline and the gentleman on the phone set it up for me saying it could take up to 24 hours to fully come through  so today at work i rang my other half  with my mobile to see what would happen with my landline  and got a online message saying saying this number is protected with sky talk shield  please say your name and  press 5  and then another voice saying please wait while we try and connect you  heard my landline ringing  and hey presto when she answered could hear each other dont know if this is coincidence sky keep texting me saying they are still trying to find the fault with my network but reading these forums they just seem to fix things without saying what they found still havent heard back from them with there texts  it seems the skytalk shield was not installed properly on my landline try getting them to reset skytalk shield from there end  and try again with the sky max hub  i hope this helps with a solution dont mind having to say my name and press anumber as long as it works  now will find out it they will compensate for the last 3 months of inconvience

Dana061085
Topic Author

@calypsoman Wow, glad you're getting somewhere with it. Don't think I would settle for saying my name and pushing 5 for every call home, suppose you could always remove landline Shield and see again at a later date. It is interesting though and I had a check of my Sky Shield settings via app and mine are set to disable, if memory serves me correctly I disabled it a number of years ago as it interfered with the Amazon Firesticks. There must be a separate setup for Sky Shield linked to the landline that's done via a call to Sky, as you did. I did though check the Max Hubs firewall settings a while ago when it was still setup but made no difference.

Our Max Hub unfortunately is boxed up and ready to be returned to Sky, with us being switched to BT on the 8th of next month, currently now on the previous Sky Broadband Hub (which works fine) so can't try what you said. How embarrassing would it be for the engineering department if that was the root cause, a simple reset of Sky Shield but suppose you will never know and either will I.

I thought Sky Shield was just for broadband but I suppose the phone is connected to the router and something is needed for scam callers.

I'll assume everybody who calls your landline now have to go through that process of identification? 

hope what ive noticed with sky talk shield can help someone else as there doesnt seem to be a solution to this problem  hope all goes well at bt 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion