Discussion topic: Can I swap out the Sky router?

This message was authored by Timberflake This message was authored by: Timberflake

Can I swap out the Sky router?

Hi all, 

I'm wondering, is it possible to swap out the Sky router for one that I can put into modem only mode in order to let my Eero mesh act as the router? If so, can anyone recommend a compatible one? 

Even better, can I just use my Eero as the only router and remove the sky hub altogether? Does anyone have any experience on this?

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Can I swap out the Sky router?

@Timberflake 

The Eero doesn't support DHCP Option 61 which is required for authenticating with Sky's backend, unfortunately. You could try authenticating with DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (PD) but this only works with 80% of Sky's broadband exchanges.

And you will need a modem if you are on FTTC, eg: a VDSL2 modem for superfast or a G.fast modem for ultrafast 1 over a twisted telephone pair.

If you are on full-fibre then you can connect the eero to the ONT and try DHCPv6 PD to see whether it works, otherwise, you'll need to change the router to one that supports DHCP Option 61.

Most Asus routers are usually compatible.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Timberflake
Topic Author
This message was authored by Timberflake This message was authored by: Timberflake

I assume FTTC is fibre to the cabinet?

We have fibre to the property and a 1gig connection, but what is ONC?

So in theory I should be able to connect my Eero directly by setting is up as DHCPv6 (which is IPv6, correct?)

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Timberflake 

To authenticate by dhcpv6 pd

Select the WAN interface section of router GUI, then select dual-stack option WAN interface for IPv4 & IPv6, for the address select DHCPv6 (dynamic option not static), enable prefix delegation (PD) on WAN and then select SLAAC for IPv6 creation method on LAN interface 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

@Timberflake 

Remember when trying DHCPv6 PD with the eero router that the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and router need to be switched off for half an hour before connecting up again and switching on the power, this ensures the authentication works correctly with Sky's backend.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Timberflake
Topic Author

I'm going to try and set up my Eero this weekend as the main router and mesh for the house and remove the Sky hub altogether, but if that doesn't work, can anyone recomment a router I can replace the sky hub with? I'd just need somethng that can be put into modem mode as I'll be using the Eero as the router for the house.

This message was authored by imago_uk This message was authored by: imago_uk

@mae-3 

Please can you explain how I would authenticate the eero 6+ with DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (PD) - in idiots guide would be really really helpful?  

Thanks

@imago_uk 

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005975026-Does-eero-support-IPv6 for instructions on enabling IPv6.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion