Discussion topic: Can I return the sky router and use an Asus AiMesh AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router instead?

This message was authored by old+Sheldon This message was authored by: old+Sheldon

Can I return the sky router and use an Asus AiMesh AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router instead?

I am in a new build and have got an openreach master socket 5 with a twin out mk4, one for phone other for internet. The sky hub doesnt carry the wifi round the house even though it is measured at 159Mbps at the router. Frustratingly it drops in and out so I need an alternative. I have looked at the Asus AX6100 and others too including the rediculously priced Netgear nighthawk raxe 500. Would i be able to just plug one of these into the openreach socket and set it up whichever way sky want me to?

Best Answers
old+Sheldon
Topic Author
This message was authored by old+Sheldon This message was authored by: old+Sheldon Answer

Re: Can I return the sky router and use an Asus AiMesh AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router instead?

@boo1232 @jamesn123 @mae-3 @cookiemonsteruk Thank you everyone for your help. It is like getting the internet for the first time now that it works. Thank you again, so much appreciated.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Can I return the sky router and use an Asus AiMesh AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router instead?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@old+Sheldon 

Is your connection via the g.fast mastersocket or an ont (below)

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

If it is via g.fast then you would need a g.fast modem for both assuming they support dhcp option 61.. 

Otherwise either should be able to be used as access points with wifi on the sky hub switched off

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
old+Sheldon
Topic Author
This message was authored by old+Sheldon This message was authored by: old+Sheldon

Thanks @cookiemonsteruk , I have attached a photo of the socket, I hope this helps ?

oreach skt.jpg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@old+Sheldon 

For either to work as routers you would need a modem such as a draytek vigor 166 g.fast modem and the routers would both need to have dhcp option 61 to authenticate with sky servers. Out of those my bet would be the asus is most likely to have "dhcp option 61" Contact asus uk to see if it does.

Other than that you should be able to ethernet either to your sr204 sky hub with wifi switched and either router set to access point. 

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

old+Sheldon
Topic Author

Thank you @cookiemonsteruk for your advice. It is much appreciated.

@old+Sheldon 

By the way you'll have to keep the sky hub for diagnostic purposes

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@old+Sheldon 

By the way you'll have to keep the sky hub for diagnostic purposes

Also there's no good mechanism for returning a current Hub model while in contract, and it will just drop into a Sky logistics black hole with you ending up being charged for it...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
old+Sheldon
Topic Author

I am sorry to bother you again but sourcing has been difficult so I managed to get the TP LINK Archer AX11000 with the intention of getting the Draytek Vigor 166 to use as the modem but I cannot get the modem from anywhere. Is there an alternative that I could use to give the same quality as the 166 or just a cheap modem from Argos? 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@old+Sheldon 

I dont know if there is any other viable alternatives other than buying a modem/router combo. G.Fast is a dying form of internet service so there isnt any new modems coming out for it. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@jamesn123 wrote:

@old+Sheldon 

I dont know if there is any other viable alternatives other than buying a modem/router combo. G.Fast is a dying form of internet service so there isnt any new modems coming out for it. 

The only other G.Fast modem I can think of is the Huawei MT992 that Openreach used to use for G.Fast installations and can usually be found on a well known auction site. There are various rebadged versions available as well.

Topic Author

If I use the sky hub without the wireless and the DHCP61 setting as mentioned previously by @cookiemonsteruk would the tplink ax11000 be ok?

@old+Sheldon wrote:

If I use the sky hub without the wireless and the DHCP61 setting as mentioned previously by @cookiemonsteruk would the tplink ax11000 be ok?

If you use the sky hub then your would be best to put the tp link into access mode where dhcp option 61 isn't needed and avoids double nat with 2 routers handing out lan ip addresses

@old+Sheldon 

Just thinking when fttp is rolled at your address it would be best to go for a router that know works with dhcp option 61 at the minute that would be the asus as i don't think tp link does

old+Sheldon
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk , As I have got 159Mbps, do I have fttp already? If not, how am I getting the high speed compared to the 60-70 that they usually offer? If I go on the sky website as a guest and try to find out what I could get for broadband, they only offer60-70 but if the phone option is enabled, which i dont use, they offer up to 160? Should I return the archer ax11000 and start again?

@old+Sheldon 

You have g.fast which uses the same copper line from the cabinet so you do need a g.fast modem plus a router that authenticates dhcp option 61.  From what i hear tp link can be hit and miss although they may have changed

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion