Discussion topic: Broadband speed

This message was authored by phil19651 This message was authored by: phil19651

Broadband speed

HI,

I JOINED SKY 4 DAYS AGO, I HAVE A PACKAGE OF TV & BROADBAND.

THE ENGINEER COULDN'T PUT THE ROUTER NEXT TO MY PC BESCAUSE THE CABLE IS GLASS AND CAN'T BEND AROUND CORNERS, WHERE VIRGIN MEDIA'S DID.

THE ROUTER & TV IS IN ANOTHER ROOM.

I DON'T HAVE WIFI ON MY PC, I WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A POWERLINE 600 KIT, I PLUG INTO THE WALL  VIA  ETHERNET CABLES AND TO THE PC.

IT WORKS I HAVE INTERNET, BUT THE SPEED IS AROUND 40-50mps, AND I AM PAYING FOR 500MPS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS.

P.S I DON'T WANT TO RUN CABLE AROUND THE HOUSE, AND CHANGE MY PC.

THANKS PHIL

All Replies

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Re: Broadband speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@phil19651The AV600 Powerline kit only has 10/100Mb ethernet ports, and the speed of powerline kit is very dependant on the state of the internal electrical wiring so the speeds you are getting sound fairly average for such a setup.

The two options are you either upgrade the PC to WiFI capability (which is very far from ideal for gaming), or you run an ethernet cable somehow.

You could also move the router to another location with a longer ethernet cable from the ONT as another option.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
phil19651
Topic Author
This message was authored by phil19651 This message was authored by: phil19651

HI,

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY.

IT SAYS ON THE POWERLINE 600 KIT BOX 600mbps.

HOW DO I MOVE THE ROUTER WHEN THE ENGINEER SAID HE COULN'T?

CHEERS PHIL

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@phil19651You don't need to keep typing in CAPS LOCK - it makes the post harder to read...and on forums generally makes it look like you are SHOUTING.....

The AV600 kits have chipsets that can support that theoretical speed, but the ports connected are only 10/100Mb - quite how they are allowed to get away with such marketing i do not know...but it is what it is...

The engineers usually only know about what they come to install and not much more. I am making the assumption when you mean "glass cable" that you have full fibre/FTTP installed?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion