Discussion topic: Broadband keeps dropping out with "syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN"

This message was authored by Mark+Hollis This message was authored by: Mark+Hollis

Broadband keeps dropping out with "syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN"

Hi there,

Our home broadband has been unstable for over a week now, and I'm hoping someone can help. 

I'm no techie so please bare with me, I've pieced together some information from looking at previous posts on here.

I've accessed the router Support page, exported the activity logs, and filtered looking for something around the most recent time the connection dropped. I've spotted this:

16:20:00 syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN.
16:41:47 syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN.
16:55:27 syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN.

The most recent one says:

16:41:47 syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN.
16:41:47 syslog: DHCP lease invalid(WANoE). Connection DOWN.
16:41:50 syslog: Clear IP addresses. IP connection DOWN.
16:41:51 syslog: Voice IP Connection Down

Then there's a bunch of "syslog: [1191939.525000] Line 0: Rate Change, us=22531, ds=136156" entries followed by:

MarkHollis_0-1680192729196.png

This means nothing to me so I'm hoping it means something to someone on here.

Not sure if you need this but too:

MarkHollis_0-1680192542245.png

Nothing has changed internally with setup etc. All lights on the router are off when this happens, and it goes through it's cycle of coming back on again. 

I need to have more confidence in my broadband solution as I work from home, but at the moment I'm not feeling it.

Thanks in advance. 

Many thanks, Mark

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out with "syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN"

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mark+Hollis 

You say all lights on the hub are off when it happens, do you mean just the broadband/voice light because your router stats show an uptime of the actual router of 331hrs so I cant see how the power/WiFi light would have gone off?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Mark+Hollis
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mark+Hollis This message was authored by: Mark+Hollis

@jamesn123 I see your point and I did wonder the same thing when I saw the up time, so I might have got that bit a little wrong.

By the time I realise it's off (the router is placed behind me where I work), some lights are off, some are orange, but the power is always green. I just cannot tell you which ones are off/orange until this happens again.

Mark+Hollis
Topic Author

To confirm. The power light remains on, but the other 3 lights (internet, wifi and voice) go off. This happened again just now. The System Up Time is at 356:42:56. The wifi light goes green, internet flashes amber, voice is amber. Then after a few moments internet is green and we're back online.

Mark+Hollis
Topic Author

Is anyone able to help at all with this?

The problem continues, and it's happened twice today:

14:23:54 syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN.

14:23:54 syslog: DHCP lease invalid(WANoE). Connection DOWN.

17:00:15 syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN.

17:00:15 syslog: DHCP lease invalid(WANoE). Connection DOWN.

Thanks.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mark+Hollis 

Considering your WiFi light goes off as well as the internet light it suggests a problem with the router itself rather than the connection itself, or at least it suggests you should troubleshoot the router first. I would get in touch with Sky and see if you can request a new router to try. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion