Discussion topic: Broadband down. Please help.

This message was authored by Norffas This message was authored by: Norffas

Broadband down. Please help.

Hi,

Overnight my broadband has gone down. The Internet light on the router has gone off completely and the voice light is steady amber.

I have called Sky and an engineer is coming out on Tuesday. I work from home now and will be unable to work tomorrow if this issue isn't sorted.

I have tried to turn the power off and also reset the router but this has not made any difference.

Please can anyone help me?

thank you 

Best Answers
Norffas
Topic Author
This message was authored by Norffas This message was authored by: Norffas Answer

Re: Broadband down. Please help.

UPDATE - engineer did not attend appointment but about 1pm, I checked my router & openreach box and all lights were as they should be.  

Connected all my devices & all seems back up & running. 

I've had no contact from either Sky or Openreach at all to confirm anything so no idea if the engineer fixed it or is just righted itself.  

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied & helped me.  

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NorffasIf you have an engineer coming out tomorrow there is not much else that the forum can do for you.

Did you book this engineer via the broadband test or calling Sky themselves?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Norffas
Topic Author

Hi.  Thank you for your reply. 
yes I booked the engineer myself.  I was surprised that I wasn't offered any help from Sky initially and it just gave me the option to book an appointment.  
i guess I thought they would do some checks at their end first.  

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NorffasIf they had looked and saw the issue with no other way than to book an engineer that would be all they can do from their end.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

• @Norffas You could run the broadband test from a Smartphone using the  MySky App and it may show some more detail.
  • If there is a fault then it would have offered you an engineer appointment.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

Norffas
Topic Author

@TechmanagerMal 

hi.   

I've ran the test and it says it can't find hub.  

the red "LOS" light is on the open reach box and the PORT light has gone out.  On the router only the wifi and power green lights are on. 
It's so stressful. Am using my phone as hotspot for working from home and it's affected my sky Tv so that's out of use too.  
I just hope it's something the engineer can fix tomorrow.  I only have a 25g data allowance with my phone 😰

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

• With FTTP the LOS light "on" indicates there is no service to the ONT so OR will have to sort that out.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

Norffas
Topic Author

@TechmanagerMal  Thank you. 

i figured that may be the case.  I'm not sure why or how it's happened.   Just went off overnight. 

@Norffas wrote:

@TechmanagerMal  Thank you. 

i figured that may be the case.  I'm not sure why or how it's happened.   Just went off overnight. 

• I guess a reboot (power off the ONT and then back on) would be worth a try but OR would be aware if it's their engineer that's coming so that would have been ruled out?

Norffas
Topic Author

@TechmanagerMal  I  have done all the tests myself and nothing has worked.  

I booked the appointment myself though on the sky app, it wasn't offered to me and Sky haven't done any checks themselves as far as I'm aware which is what has confused me as I'd have thought an engineer would only come out once they had ran their checks.  
I did call them but felt like they weren't interested and just told me to wait for engineer app. 

@Norffas wrote:

@TechmanagerMal  I  have done all the tests myself and nothing has worked.  

I booked the appointment myself though on the sky app, it wasn't offered to me and Sky haven't done any checks themselves as far as I'm aware which is what has confused me as I'd have thought an engineer would only come out once they had ran their checks.  
I did call them but felt like they weren't interested and just told me to wait for engineer app. 

• I would call them back and tell them you are on FTTP and they should get OR to test the line.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

If the online system has booked the engineer for you, it means a fault has been found, it wouldn't book the engineer without the fault being present. So any troubleshooting we do would be pointless as the outcome will still be to book an engineer as the line has presented a fault. 

We also cannot run more tests on the line when our system tells us a line test has already been run and an engineer booked off the back of it so this is why the agent will not have attempted any steps. 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
Norffas
Topic Author

@Lisa-P1987 

hi Lisa.  

Thanks for the information.  

I presume I will be reimbursed for the lack of service ? I have been without internet and sky tv since Saturday evening.   

It's a massive inconvenience for someone who relies heavily on internet for working from home 🙁

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

You will receive Auto Compensation, I will link this below. 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/auto-compensation

Regarding the TV however, do you have Sky Glass? 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
Norffas
Topic Author

@Lisa-P1987  
no I don't, I have Sky Q.    

Thanks 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion