Discussion topic: Broadband Renewal

This message was authored by NK888 This message was authored by: NK888

Broadband Renewal

Broadband Renewal

Why is my renewal going up £17 and why can I not speak to anyone in customer service to help understand this?

If I was a new customer I can get all the discounts but for an existing customer, +5yrs Sky keep putting the price up.
£50 for broadband, I have not changed a single thing?!? 

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Broadband Renewal

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If you are seeing a £17 increase that is because your package has had this discount on it that has now ended so one way or another you will need to talk to them to see if they will offer you a further discount should you agree to a new contract.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
NK888
Topic Author

No, that is the renewal price for this year! 
I was told that only new customers get the discounted price "to encourage then to switch providers".
I have called Sky again, to try and reduce my renewal and still cannot get it down. Seems Sky would rather watch customers walk away. 

This message was authored by Tiggy46 This message was authored by: Tiggy46

As far as I am aware a Sky contract doesn't renew,  it expires once you reach the end of the period you originally contracted for, usually 18 months.

As @caesarome suggested, the price you are now seeing is the full, undiscounted, price. You will need to phone Sky to negotiate a new contract. 

NK888
Topic Author

Understood, and after two more calls it still does not explain why a "renewal" is being increased so much. 

A new customer will get exactly what I have for £28  and a "renewal" for me will be £42. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NK888 wrote:

A new customer will get exactly what I have for £28  and a "renewal" for me will be £42. 

Except on £28 the ISP may not be breaking even after paying wholesale rental and their own costs.  Profit is largely derived from customers outside the initial discounted period: that's just how the industry works.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@NK888 wrote:

Except on £28 the ISP may not be breaking even after paying wholesale rental and their own costs.  Profit is largely derived from customers outside the initial discounted period: that's just how the industry works.

Do you actually have evidence that Sky don't make money when charging a new customer £28?
What ongoing costs are directly involved in adding a new customer for broadband.
I'd bet it's exactly nothing.

Sky are puling a fast one. They send out e-mails to FTTC customers saying how much they have improved their service when nothing changes.

It's my belief that the price hikes are to pay for the additional backhaul and installation costs that Sky now see for FTTP connections.
FTTC connections are now subsidising FTTP.

@NK888 

So the best Sky could do for you is £42 for basic broadband and phone?

Clearly they don't want you as a customer. You can get the equivalent for £24 (plus Topcashback)

Switching broadband and phone is very easy these days.

Are you still in contract? When dd you get notifcation of the price hike?

NK888
Topic Author

at the end of the contract and the price hike was not clear until I logged into my Sky account. There was briefly something on my Sky account but that disappeared.  Customer Services have not been helpful, we shouldn't have to call endlessly to a call centre to negotiate unfair renewal packages. 
Fortunately, competitors were keen to help!  

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@NK888 wrote:

at the end of the contract and the price hike was not clear until I logged into my Sky account. There was briefly something on my Sky account but that disappeared.  Customer Services have not been helpful, we shouldn't have to call endlessly to a call centre to negotiate unfair renewal packages. 
Fortunately, competitors were keen to help!  

All good then?
I saved myself £4.50 pm and got a 50% increase in speed.

Sky really have lost the 'value for money' element. I guess they don't have to try too hard!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion