Discussion topic: Best mesh network? And can I ditch the Sky router?

This message was authored by Dragna07 This message was authored by: Dragna07

Best mesh network? And can I ditch the Sky router?

Hi, setup of the Sky router was simple enough but the coverage in the house is pretty bad - quite a few rooms don't have reliable wifi, and when I contacted Sky about it they suggested I upgrade my package to get mesh at the cost of either £5 or £10 extra per month - I can't remember which but I'd much rather just pay up front rather than on going monthly indefinitely.

I've also tried my Fritzbox router and have the same problem so I'm thinking I probably do need to go with mesh. Is there anyway I can ditch the Sky router with mesh? I don't fully understand it but it seems like almost all mesh things are just WiFi and I'll need to link it to either the Sky router or the Fritzbox. It looks like the Deco AX1800 router can work as a modem too, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with Sky based on reviews 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Best mesh network? And can I ditch the Sky router?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dragna07 you can replace your Sky Hub with a router thst offers mesh connections or you can use. A Mesh system in Access Point mode with your Sky hub.

There are issues with the way Sky authenticates connections which can restrict the choice of third party routers but these vary according to the type of connection (copper or direct fibre), the service you buy (Essential, Superfast or Ultrafast) and whether you are in the UK or Ireland. This is can get complicated so can you either answer those questions or post your Hub's connection stats as explained here Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

The simplest work round if you want better wifi but otherwise you Sky hub does the job is to simply turn off the wifi on the hub and connect a kit of mesh wifi access points. The Deco units from TP-Link can do this see https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1842/ I use this set up myself very successfully.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by tangoed This message was authored by: tangoed

@Dragna07 - You ask a good question that has been asked many  times. I had the sassme issue when I moved house and ordered 500Mb fibre and was dissapointed by the Sky wi-fi. 

After reading many posts here I purchased an ASUS router that greatly improcved the wi-fi speed but did not help the coverage a great deal. Then added a pair of ASUS mesh routers to bost the coverage. Now happy.

So yes you can replace the SKY router. The choice and configuration is key and depends on the type of service that have from Sky Broadband.

There are more Routers and Mesh networks than you can shake a stick at. I uses AUS after post here memntioned them as a good solution for Fibre connection. 

Sky fibre at 500 Meg - ASUS router.

Update after 6 months: The Asus router and associated Mesh Asus are working very well. The firware has been updated a couple of times. One time the network semed to fail and was off line. Cant say if this was the line, the BT Fibre router ot the Asus. A power refresh pull all units back on line. Now seems super solifd and run without any off the lights showing. 

This message was authored by Mini+Mo This message was authored by: Mini+Mo

@tangoedBest move I made ditching the Sky kit & changing over to the Asus DSL AX82U, great improvement in wifi speed, coverage & finally being able to have a guest network, another bonus is line speed increased, also jitter/latency has dropped quite abit.

This message was authored by DefinitelyDave This message was authored by: DefinitelyDave

@Mini+Mo 

That is great to hear, I have 500mb being installed next week and was looking at the AX-82u as the basis of an Asus mesh.  Our WiFi has been struggling with interference from neighbours and the Sky hub just doesn't cut it for a fast service.

BT installed the ONT yesterday and were happy to place it somewhere more convenient than the mastersocket, which is right next to the houses mains fuse distribution box high up next yo our front door.

• Just got figure out how I want to run the hardwired backbone to a second unit upstairs.
This message was authored by DefinitelyDave This message was authored by: DefinitelyDave

I just realised I said ONT, of course I should have said it was the external terminal.  Just heard loud drilling and looked out to find my neighbour is getting fibre fitted by MJQuinn.

Interesting they have installed the ONT at the same time but ironically will have to come back another day to run the overhead line as they don't have a cherry picker to get safe access to the pole (lacking safety info on the pole apparently plus tree growth hazards).

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@DefinitelyDave 

The best wireless mesh routers and nodes employ tri-band or even quad wireless bands, eg: a 5Ghz band for the mesh and a 2nd 5ghz band for distributing to the local 5ghz client devices, and of course, the 2.4Ghz band for range from the main router, and 6Ghz band if you have quad-band with wifi 6E clients.

When searching Google for these wireless mesh routers use 'tri-band' or 'quad-band'.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Should also have noted - Instaled an ~ethernet cable to link the garage block / office to the main house and added a Asus mesh in there that links back to master Router over the Ethernet cable acting as wired backhaul. 

@tangoedSensible suggestion, I have mesh in workshop,but also hardwired from there back to POE router in house mainly to make cctv easier.

@Mini+Mo - I did try to get Wi-Fi to garage but was just so slow arounf 5Mb. Tried POE and speed jumped to over 50Mb. 

Took the plug to route a cable - required drilling holes in walls and diging a trench and some pipe work - but well woth it to get 500 Mb. 

@tangoedWhen I put in new concrete path here,decided to laid  severval ducts under it, the whole length for network,electrics, safer option than under the lawn.

@mae-3 

Thanks for the advice,  After reading up on various AIMesh models I am looking at using a wired backhaul, as the WiFi signal drops off massively upstairs.  I think it is just the way this house is, 1930s build with the ceilings having multiple layers of plasterboard on them (easy fix for the landlord).

Depending on how far I stretch my budget, I am thinking Ax82u and something similar but a bit cheaper as the client or try and stretch to the ax92u set or XT8/9.

My wife and daughter are fed up of the signal issues and my son's extension can suffer from massive issues too.  I am hoping his signal improves due to it being easier to place the main unit with only his door and one wall being in the path.

I should be able to run the ethernet backhaul up behind some boxing next to chimney  and into my daughter's room, that way she can directly connect her PC without a much messy wiring.

@Mini+Mo - Smart thinking.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone giving help and advice here.

Our 500mb Ultrafast connection was setup yesterday and the TUF-AX6000 I decided to go for arrived today (technical issues with the shop warehouse held things up).

Setup was simple (apart from unplugging the wrong cables and power sockets several times 😄).  I had to buy some new ethernet cables to allow my new router placement but that worked out well.

Sky Q already threw a wobble with the network connection this morning so I setup the new router, updated it and removed the Sky router.  The Q mini spat it's dummy out but then strangely resolved it's issue before I could change anything.

The only change I made was splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels to allow me to isolate older devices.

Wired PCs are getting 511/70 and WiFi6 are getting around 430/70 (except the PS5 which only gets 20 up but that doesn't matter).

Even older devices are getting 40/20 in previous dead spots, which is a massive improvement.

I am very happy with the new setup and FTTP connection.  The Sky Engineer who installed it was ace too.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion