Discussion topic: BT AC1200 mini whole home WiFi discs

This message was authored by Chris+1066 This message was authored by: Chris+1066

BT AC1200 mini whole home WiFi discs

Hi, I wonder if anyone can assist with the following scenario.

I'm trying to help my son who lives over in Ireland and has just changed over to skyfibre with a new sky router + sky Q which is all working great.

He has just had the house/loft extended and his home office is now some way from the router so the WiFi keeps dropping out. I went over and ran a dedicated cat 5 cable from the router to his offices with a net gear switch on the end so he can plug his work laptop in to it, again that works great (but still no WiFi).

I have a spare BT mini whole home white disc so I thinking that if I get another and connect one to the router and the other to the net gear switch in the office would that work and do you turn off the router WiFi or leave it on.

Or does anyone have a better idea ?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: BT AC1200 mini whole home WiFi discs

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris+1066 you can use the BT white discs as wifi access points with Sky hubs. If your son has Sky Q TV boxes connected by wifi he will need a Sky Wifi signal to connect the Q minis. Otherwise you can disable the Sky hub's wifi and use a third party wifi access point if that provides better coverage.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Chris+1066
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chris+1066 This message was authored by: Chris+1066

Hi Chrisee, he only has the main SkyQ box which has a WiFi link to the sky router......... so if understand what your suggesting I turn of the router WiFi install both discs ( one plugged in to the router and the other plugged in to the office switch) then let the skyQ box connect to the disc by the router ?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris+1066 should work but note the Q box will only link to the 2.4GHz band.  However, unless turned off in the box's settings,  will still show a 5GHz hot spot which can interfere with the BT disc wifi. Setting is in the hidden engineer's menu accessed by navigating to settings but entering 0,0,1 before select.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Chris+1066
Topic Author

Thanks for the assistance, I'm not due back in Ireland till next October so I'll try it out then 👍

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion