Discussion topic: Asus DSL-AC88U with G.Fast (actually SOGFAST) - anyone using that?

This message was authored by shrewdLogarithm This message was authored by: shrewdLogarithm

Asus DSL-AC88U with G.Fast (actually SOGFAST) - anyone using that?

I've been chasing an intermittent problem with Sky Broadband and both I and the BT engineer are pretty much certain it's the router at this point

Given this router is approaching 2 years old and the last one died at just over 2 years I'm wondering if I shouldn't just buy something a bit better rather than play the "how long will it last game" again...

Sadly, it seems the ONLY router which supports G.Fast completely (rather than the Draytek+another device setup) is the Asus DSL-RT88U??

I'm ok spending the cash on one as QOS and a router VPN client are useful to me and I use ASUS routers elsewhere - but before I throw good money out, is anyone here using one on the same type of connection/is it likely to actually work!?

The engineer described my connection as 'SOGFAST' - that's a fancier FTTC 150Mb G.Fast I think??

Note: Sky aren't offering FTTP which would be a better solution...

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Asus DSL-AC88U with G.Fast (actually SOGFAST) - anyone using that?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@shrewdLogarithm wrote:

The engineer described my connection as 'SOGFAST' - that's a fancier FTTC 150Mb G.Fast I think??

SOG just denotes 'Single Order Generic' in Openreach-speak: it's neither 'fancier' nor FTTC.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/fibre-broadband/sog-fast 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
shrewdLogarithm
Topic Author
This message was authored by shrewdLogarithm This message was authored by: shrewdLogarithm

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@shrewdLogarithm 

FTTC is limited to 80Mbs maximum inbound speed and has a much longer distance limit: G.fast is faster, uses a different variation of DSL signalling and much shorter copper runs to subscription addresses.  In some cases the G.fast 'pod' may be located at a cabinet, but that's coincidental (largely to do with backhaul and power availability) and will only be serving properties within a few hundred metres: other pods can be away from a cabinet as long as it's possible to power them (power problems are one reason it's not now scheduled for wider deployment).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
shrewdLogarithm
Topic Author

I realize you're just someone with nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon other than being an unhelpful nerd but - really!?

I asked a straightforward question - I included as much information as I have to avoid people asking for details - and instead of an answer I get pedantry which offers no real help to anyone.

Do you somehow get-off on this and if so - maybe seek help?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@shrewdLogarithm wrote:

I realize you're just someone with nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon other than being an unhelpful nerd but - really!?

I asked a straightforward question - I included as much information as I have to avoid people asking for details - and instead of an answer I get pedantry which offers no real help to anyone.

Do you somehow get-off on this and if so - maybe seek help?

@shrewdLogarithm 

No, we don't get off on this.  We try our best to help people based on our experience. Yes dsl ac88u is g.fast compatible but i can't find out what level of qos it is .  Going by my previous asus dsl it was bandwidth and device based qos not adaptive qos which allow priortising gaming, streaming etc 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion