Discussion topic: Apple products not connecting to wiffi.

This message was authored by Buteman This message was authored by: Buteman

Apple products not connecting to wiffi.

Recently had problems with my ipad iphone not working properly using wiffi.

Got a new router yesterday from Sky and thats the same.

Not connected to Wiffi it says even though doing a speed thests shows that my download speed is in the 60 mb area.

I deleted facebook and messenger and reinstalled them hoping that would fix it, but it made it worse as it would not let me use them as i was getting the not connected to the internet problems.

This has been going on for over a week now and my only way to get it to work is go into my Daughters house next door and use her sky wiffi.

But when I go back to my house. Same problems occur. Globe spinning endlessly but not connecting. Messages not being sent on messenger and some not arriving. Photos and videos are greyed out.

Anyone have a solution that may help. Tried everything  resetting router to factory settings etc.

Just annoys me when i can have it working properly next door but not at home.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive Answer

Re: Apple products not connecting to wiffi.

@Buteman  As your internet dose appear to be working, a few things you cant try, in order,

*check your broadband shield settings, for testing set it to disabled, 

instructions are at https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-start

*Factory reset router, (hold reset button for at least 20 sec, any shorter might just force a reboot)

*On your iPad, select your wifi / forget network / reboot iPad / rejoin network ( wifi password is on the back of the router)

Then let us know how you get on👍

(for reference, there is no way to force a firmware update, Sky will update the firmware automatically as & when they get around to it) 

Sky providing the the option to manually upgrade firmware is more for show than functionality!

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

Buteman
Topic Author

Hi read on this forum that manually changing the DNS on a router might help.

Tried that today but I could not find change DNS manually in the router.

Did i miss it or can you not do that in routers anymore.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Buteman you have never been able to change the DNS on Sky hubs is it is hardcoded however changing the setting on your device will override the Hi]ub's setting.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Buteman 

Can you post a screenshot of the issue you see?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Buteman
Topic Author

@jamesn123. I can explain the problems better.

No connection using myipad and iphone.

Cant send messages or recieve them using Facebook and Messenger.

Photos and Videos are greyed out.

Tried everything that I can think of with no luck.

Like I have said earlier my daughter stays next door and she is also a sky customer.

And I can connect to her router with no problens.

I did notice that there is a firmware update available for my router. But dont know how to download it or whether it would make any difference.

I get the no internet connection quite often even though it says I have a 70 mb download speed.

They did send me a new router. but that is no good either.

i did reset the apple connection on both with no luck. Thats 2 or 3 weeks now without being able to use Facebook and Messenger and I rely on that for connecting some of my relations in Australia. Any help welcome.

Buteman
Topic Author

@jamesn123. Forgot to say removed Facebook and messenger a few time and it would not let me install them again. Password was wrong even though I knew it was correct. The small globe circling all the time.Plus no internet connection was the main problem.

The only way I could download them again was to do it using my daughters wiffi.

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@Buteman Can you let us know a bit more about your setup?  router model & firmware ?

& interested in any additional hardware you have? network switches, sky Q box's, powerline etc 

Edit: Re reading your post, it's unclear if you have an intermittent problem with no internet? 
Do other devices connect ok?

or is it a total loss of internet?

Facebook doesn't work? On iOS or any device?

Tom...

BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by Helper22 This message was authored by: Helper22

I've just had the same problem with my iPhone, and I think I've fixed the problem, by changing this wifi connection toggle to off: "Use Private Wifi address" 

Buteman
Topic Author

@Helper22 . It is already connected to private network. I am sort of over the hill age wise what does toggle off mean. I did try changing the DNS settings to manual. Added what I thought is a a new server 1.1.1.1 the other part would have been 1.0.0.1 and tried that. That at least let me send messages on Facebook and messenger but still get photos and videos all greyed out. I was a bit worried about what I did I set DNS back to Automatic.. 

Buteman
Topic Author

@TomThumb5ive model isSR203 Firmware 7.02.0201.R. I now there is an update for it but don't know how to get it.

Have 3 tenda wireless extender that I would normally use but have tried with them removed completely but it made no difference. 
Basically I am sitting about 10 feet away from the router and get a good download speed of about 70mb. I also have Amazon stick connected to TV and that's it.

this just affects my iPad and iPhone .Snapchat not working very well either. Little globe on  messages either not being sent or arriving. Mainly only use Facebook and Messenger to keep in contact with family and friends.

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive Answer

@Buteman  As your internet dose appear to be working, a few things you cant try, in order,

*check your broadband shield settings, for testing set it to disabled, 

instructions are at https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-start

*Factory reset router, (hold reset button for at least 20 sec, any shorter might just force a reboot)

*On your iPad, select your wifi / forget network / reboot iPad / rejoin network ( wifi password is on the back of the router)

Then let us know how you get on👍

(for reference, there is no way to force a firmware update, Sky will update the firmware automatically as & when they get around to it) 

Sky providing the the option to manually upgrade firmware is more for show than functionality!

Tom...

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Buteman
Topic Author

@TomThumb5ive . Many thanks for pointing to the Broadband Shield as the problem. 
so far everything is working without it. I disabled it and so far so good. 
Will see what tomorrow brings but expect it to be still working.. 

Would it be ok to go into Broadband shield to try and find the cause or better leaving it dissabled.  My thoughts are leave it switched off.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@Buteman  Glad it's all working for you again, 👍

As for broadband shield, I would run it on 18, unless you have a need to lower the restrictions, 

it will help to block most of the phishing & malware sites, 

but pretty much allow everything else,

you could also set any restrictions & white list Facebook etc. 

For info are you new to sky ? because I believe any new connection to sky, automatically default to a 13 age rating until manually adjusted by the account holder.

Tom...

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion