Discussion topic: Apple Airplay wired v wifi

This message was authored by ReiRahamans This message was authored by: ReiRahamans

Apple Airplay wired v wifi

Hi there,

I want to airplay my mac to my Samsung TV. However we use Virgin broadband and have ethernet in the house into the back of TVs. So the TV is on ethernet wired with a Sky wifi name. I need to be on the same network to airplay but I dont know the password for this sky network that has been created amongst the TVs. 

Anyone know how I can get the TVs Sky password? Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Apple Airplay wired v wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ReiRahamans wrote:

Anyone know how I can get the TVs Sky password

When Sky isn't the ISP, the credentials in use by Q hardware to communicate with each other is not information which is available (it's encoded in the WPS exchange which links the Q hardware elements to each other).  This shouldn't affect the Samsung TV though: that will have a network configuration assigned by the Virgin Hub.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
ReiRahamans
Topic Author
This message was authored by ReiRahamans This message was authored by: ReiRahamans

Thanks for that answer. So I cant get my laptop onto that Sky network? I can see it, I just need the password. Of course I can switch TV from wired to wireless each time but thats a pain

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@ReiRahamans wrote:

Hi there,

I want to airplay my mac to my Samsung TV. However we use Virgin broadband and have ethernet in the house into the back of TVs. So the TV is on ethernet wired with a Sky wifi name. I need to be on the same network to airplay but I dont know the password for this sky network that has been created amongst the TVs. 

Anyone know how I can get the TVs Sky password? Thanks

How is your Mac connected to your VM broadband?
If your Mac connecteds to your VM hub (either wired to wireless) and the TV is connected via ethernet this should work.

In your description, I don't understand your comment "the TV is on ethernet wired with a Sky wifi name". If your TV is wired to the VM Hub via ethernet then it does not need (or use) a WiFi.connection?

ReiRahamans
Topic Author

Sorry I meant the TV is connected via a Sky network name. And my mac can see that network in the wifis, but I cant connect to it because I dont have the password. For airplay to work, TV and mac need to be on same network (it says same wifi network, but I assume TV wired and mac wifi would be fine)

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@ReiRahamansYes that would work as long as they are on the same network, that is connected to the same router.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ReiRahamans wrote:

Sorry I meant the TV is connected via a Sky network name.

I don't see why the television itself would be.  You could try a network reset on it.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion