Discussion topic: Antivirus

This message was authored by 1954eamonn This message was authored by: 1954eamonn

Antivirus

Just getting sky broadband, what sort of antivirus protection does sky over ie Norton or mafee ,or do it have to buy my own as last supplier gave one free

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Antivirus

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@1954eamonn 

Antivirus software has no particular relationship with broadband.

Personally I haven't seen an actual virus (self replicating code) for well over a decade: anyone who discovers a flaw in a modern operating system these days sells it to either the OS owner or a state security agency for serious money rather than releasing an exploit into the wild for the lulz, and the average civilian is extremely unlikely to ever encounter such code unless they've seriously upset some powerful people.

Malicious software (and particularly ransomware) which a user actively chooses to install believing it to be something else is different.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@1954eamonn 

You'll have to buy your own Sky does not provide any

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@1954eamonn 

In the past there was a promotion between Sky and McAfee, and you'll still see references to that online, but it hasn't been in operation for several years.

1954eamonn
Topic Author
This message was authored by 1954eamonn This message was authored by: 1954eamonn

can any one recommend an antivirus for broadband

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@1954eamonn 

Antivirus software has no particular relationship with broadband.

Personally I haven't seen an actual virus (self replicating code) for well over a decade: anyone who discovers a flaw in a modern operating system these days sells it to either the OS owner or a state security agency for serious money rather than releasing an exploit into the wild for the lulz, and the average civilian is extremely unlikely to ever encounter such code unless they've seriously upset some powerful people.

Malicious software (and particularly ransomware) which a user actively chooses to install believing it to be something else is different.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion