Discussion topic: Adding Access points / mesh to Sky BB & Sky Q

This message was authored by cocksy2015 This message was authored by: cocksy2015

Adding Access points / mesh to Sky BB & Sky Q

Hi,

I've got Sky FTTP (ultrafast) and Sky Q with a single satellite box. I rent an old house and unfortunately both the router and the Sky Q box are in the living room which means the wifi signal around the far end of the house isn't great.

I also have 3 x BT Whole Home Wifi Premium discs, but I've been having trouble getting it to work nicely with the Sky BB - when connected to the BT wifi i cannot access my home server connected via ethernet, and vice-versa. Either way, the BT Whole Home isn't great (I have lots of disconnection issues) so I'm thinking of ditching it and going with something else.

Seeing as I have Sky BB and a Sky Q satellite box, I think that it is essentially already setting up a mesh network, although due to the layout of my house, the range isn't extended as both boxes are in the same room! So, I thought about getting either a  Sky Q Wireless box, or a Sky Q Wireless Booster 2020 Edition,  or even possibly just a non-sky access point, but I'm unsure what the difference / advantages of the various options are.

Ideally, if possible, I'd like to get a box that has 2.4 & 5GHz and that will simply add to the existing Sky Q mesh network that's already there - do either of the Sky options do that? And is there a way to buy the right / best box direct from Sky, ideally for less than I can get it on Amazon (or ebay)? I'm a gold VIP if that has any sway with the Sky sales team!

Thanks in advance for any help.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Adding Access points / mesh to Sky BB & Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@cocksy2015 

Sky don't sell their boosters: any you see in listings have leaked from the Sky logistics chain or are loaned items which should have been returned to Sky by ex-subscribers, and whoever is selling them has no right to be doing so.

If you choose to go ahead and purchase, you'd want the model which physically matches your Sky Broadband Hub (i.e. upright but in white plastic, not black).  The Q booster is intended for use with the Q Hub: that both of those vendors are mislabeling the products on offer is probably something of a clue about their legitimacy as sources of Sky hardware.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
cocksy2015
Topic Author
This message was authored by cocksy2015 This message was authored by: cocksy2015

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@cocksy2015 

Sky don't sell their boosters: any you see in listings have leaked from the Sky logistics chain and whoever is selling them has no right to be doing so.

If you choose to go ahead and purchase, you'd want the model which physically matches your Sky Broadband Hub (i.e. upright but in white plastic, not black).  The Q booster is intended for use with the Q Hub: that both of those vendors are mislabeling the products on offer is probably something of a clue about their legitimacy as sources of Sky hardware.

Thank you for the info - I did think that the naming all seemed odd on amazon, so that makes a lot of sense.

My sky router is an upright SR203, so the upright white plastic booster seems to be the same - do you know what the model number of the booster is?

And is there any way to purchase the correct booster direct from Sky?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@cocksy2015 wrote:
My sky router is an upright SR203, so the upright white plastic booster seems to be the same - do you know what the model number of the booster is?
And is there any way to purchase the correct booster direct from Sky?

I believe the matching booster is the SE210.  However, as I said, Sky don't sell them: that's just not their chosen business model.  Boosters are loaned for free to Broadband Boost subscribers claiming under the WiFi Guarantee, and to fix Q television issues (also on free loan): they are expected to begin returned if a subscription ends.

cocksy2015
Topic Author

Thank you @TimmyBGood  - I understand now.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

On a similar thread recently it was identified that the booster can be purchased outright for £60, about 5 days ago by @TimmyBGood 😀

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 

I've always suspected that if this happens it's an occasional workaround by individual contact centre agents, and is officially disapproved of by Sky: it undermines uptake of Broadband Boost subscriptions (which ought to be considerably more profitable than sales) and creates a grey market in hardware that complicates support.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TimmyBGood & @cocksy2015 

Rent or buy that is the question, cheaper to buy IMHO. And one of the reasons I left Sky because they wished to rent equipment. 😎

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
cocksy2015
Topic Author

@mae-3 wrote:

@TimmyBGood & @cocksy2015 

Rent or buy that is the question, cheaper to buy IMHO. And one of the reasons I left Sky because they wished to rent equipment. 😎

Thanks for the info - sorry for the delayed response (family commitments over the weekend). I don't really want to comit to paying a subscription for this bit of kit (appreciate that the sky box is rented), so have bought one on ebay to see if it can add it my Sky network and then can turn of theBT whole home wifi. Cheers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion