Discussion topic: A week without broadband - alternatives

This message was authored by Homeworker101 This message was authored by: Homeworker101

A week without broadband - alternatives

Our BB went down last Tuesday. The process for fixing the issue with Sky is frustrating to say the least. Open reach eventually came on Friday and apparently ID'd an issue externally which was fixed but we're still not receiving any BB. A new router has been sent out although current one was installed in May this year, and I'm waiting for another Open Reach engineer to arrive. I don't hold out much hope as getting the systems set up in the first place took a month.

I haven't worked for a week. We have been without anything but the basic live TV and the kids are getting annoyed by the lack of gaming 😬. Assuming that things won't be fixed this morning what temporary alternatives do we have? I need to work from home - due to sensitivity of work I can't work in shared spaces -  we need some sort of Internet. Any suggestions of quick temp solutions gratefully received. Thank uou

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: A week without broadband - alternatives

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Homeworker101 

Short of exotic solutions such as internet by satellite, the only viable solution would be a cellular data router ('mobile hotspot') with a SIM for a generous data allowance (assuming you have at least 3G signal available).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Homeworker101
Topic Author
This message was authored by Homeworker101 This message was authored by: Homeworker101

Ah so I have both Sky and Open Reach out and both blaming each other. 

The current router is fine apparently, although we have a second new one now too. The fault is outside but BT have signal coming into the house. They've not met. Im trying to force a meetings of minds but it's like trying to force two opposing magnets together.

Given that I run a business from home, is it worth considering Sky broadband for business? The appear to offer 4G router if BB goes down. And a quicker turn around time for fixing faults.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Homeworker101 wrote:

Given that I run a business from home, is it worth considering Sky broadband for business? The appear to offer 4G router if BB goes down. And a quicker turn around time for fixing faults.

Possibly, but be aware that product has some weird T&Cs: it's apparently intended for business premises rather than a home address which happens to be used for business purposes.

5.6 You undertake and agree:

• a) to use the Service strictly for business use only;
  • b) not to resell or sublicense the Service; and
  • c) not to permit any member of the public to connect any device to the Equipment (whether via a wired or wireless connection) for the purpose of receiving internet access, and such undertaking shall extend to any subsequent orders you may make for any Add-ons.

https://businessconnect.sky.com/business/help/home/information-and-policies/terms-and-conditions/sub... 

Homeworker101
Topic Author

How odd. We do have business premises everywhere and do allow clients/visitors to use our network. We also have smart tvs running for visitor and staff entrainment. I can't see how they can hold those terms up - it's a family run business. We work from home. I will follow up with them.

btw. Still no BB. Apparently someone has been in the box and tampered with the cabling. Virgin have had 3rd party engineers working in the area. Could they have been up to no good?

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Won't be anything to do with Virgin.

If its a FTTC (VDSL) broadband service then probably Kelly's/Quinn's (Openreach contractors, both utterly appalling) have stolen your copper pair to fix someone else's service. They are notorious for doing this.

Make sure you claim compensation from Sky (£8.40/day)....

@Homeworker101 wrote:

I can't see how they can hold those terms up - it's a family run business.

Absolutely: they have always been a very strange anomaly, and apparently rule out having a customer 'hotspot' in business premises which would be considered standard functionality these days, particularly in hospitality

Unfortunately I doubt you'll get to talk to anyone who understands why those particular T&Cs were defined that way.

Homeworker101
Topic Author

Interesting. We've been told it's AON working on behalf of virgin. I think I'll make some calls. 

@Homeworker101 wrote:

We've been told it's AON working on behalf of virgin.

Neither Virgin themselves or a subcontractor of theirs should be touching Openreach infrastructure apart possibly from ducting.  They've no business being inside an Openreach cabinet.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion