Discussion topic: 6 week wait for broadband activation

BazG66
Topic Author
This message was authored by BazG66 This message was authored by: BazG66

Re: 6 week wait for broadband activation

So do BT think the previous owners internet connection is still operational? Could the long wait for connection be because of that? 

BazG66
Topic Author

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BazG66 wrote:

So do BT think the previous owners internet connection is still operational? Could the long wait for connection be because of that? 

It certainly doesn't help: ISPs aren't permitted to take over an active 'line' (as a protection method for current occupants)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
BazG66
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood  This is my Openreaach box connections. The power and PON lights are green.

IMG_4341.jpeg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@BazG66 

If the PON light is constant it suggests there is an active service.  Its possible the previous occupier has just left and contacted a new isp without going through the switch procedure. If that is the case the connection is referred to as a ceased line meaning you would need to wait for the cease to lift or maybe contact sky for a new line.  The notes you posted suggest there may be an extra post which would allow sky to install a new fibre connection into the same ont whilst the ceased line is sorted.  

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@BazG66 

On looking at the ont again i realised it is a single port ont so thats banjaxed my idea

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

BazG66
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk Thanks for your reply. So just to clarify, what you're saying is that the PON light shouldnt be on if there is no active service in place. As the PON is on (constant green) it means the previous occupiers haven't cancelled with their ISP so i can't get broadband connected until that is sorted? 

@BazG66 

I'm afraid so.  Wait until @TimmyBGood gets back to the topic 

BazG66
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood Hi TimmyB could you confirm what's been said please and have you anything further. Thanks 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BazG66 

Nothing much useful to add I'm afraid: the combination of the previous resident not cancelling and all the current data bearers being already in use is a bit of a show stopper.

Normally an ISP could commission Openreach to use a different circuit (because they can't takeover an existing one) but that's not possible in this case.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion