Discussion topic: 145 to router only 70 on WiFi

This message was authored by Lynz14 This message was authored by: Lynz14

145 to router only 70 on WiFi

145mg to the router, fibre broadband, but only 70 on WiFi, via various speed test sites. Done all the usual checks, changed channels etc etc so posting my router stats to see if anything obvious, many thanks in advance

All Replies

Lynz14
Topic Author

Re: 145 to router only 70 on WiFi

Screenshot_20230309-202001.png

This message was authored by Deb3000 This message was authored by: Deb3000

I can’t really see the image clearly, but this is about what I would expect.  Any tech will tell you a wired connection is always superior to a wireless one.  It’s more reliable, more stable, faster and more secure.  The only thing wireless has going for it is convenience.

Why?  Well, there is a lot going on in wireless that doesn’t happen with wires.  Not only must the packets be reformatted moving from one to the other but wireless also has to encrypt the traffic at one end and decrypt it again at the other for security reasons.  This, of course, takes a little bit more time.  Wires generally don’t use encryption.  Wireless is also a half-duplex system.  That is, it can’t transmit and receive simultaneously because when sending it is so loud it can’t hear anything else.  It sends a bit then listens for a reply etc.  It also has to wait if another wireless device is sending.  Twisted pair cable sends and receives simultaneously, using different wires.    There is also the potential of interference from other radio signals.  This scrambles the packets and so they need to be sent again, taking more time.  I could go on but I think you get the idea.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lynz14 as @Deb3000 points out wifi speeds are often lower than the speed at the hub but thst is not inevitable your Sky hub can actually deliver up to 700Mb/s over wiifi.

Ideally test speeds on a device connected by ethernet but if that isnt run a test with only one device connected to the wifi in the same room as the hub if speeds are still around 70Mb/s call Sky and report the fault. I had a similar issue myself recently and Sky's Network team had to sort the connection at their end to restore my speeds. I had to be patient while the agent went through a number of steps before she could escalate the problem.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Lynz14
Topic Author

Got on a call and went through all the usual checks, switched a couple of internet enabled plug switches off I wasnt using, moved some things to 5ghz and left the majority on 2.4 etc, switched of the main boxes wifi as I have it hard wired so most thing running through the main hub now (or mini boxes) and now seeing on 115+ on the playstation for example so happy with that, thanks for the replies

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@Chrisee wrote:

@Lynz14 as @Deb3000 points out wifi speeds are often lower than the speed at the hub but thst is not inevitable your Sky hub can actually deliver up to 700Mb/s over wiifi.

Ideally test speeds on a device connected by ethernet but if that isnt run a test with only one device connected to the wifi in the same room as the hub if speeds are still around 70Mb/s call Sky and report the fault. I had a similar issue myself recently and Sky's Network team had to sort the connection at their end to restore my speeds. I had to be patient while the agent went through a number of steps before she could escalate the problem.

Hi @Chrisee 

Is this new information, suggesting my Ultrafast Plus only making 150 in the same room is an issue that needs looking at or am I missing something?

What speeds were you getting?

Had OR set your package to the correct level?

What are the numbers now>

Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TechmanagerMal as far as I am aware it was nothing to do with Openreach as the speeds after install were 550Mb/s. At some point the speeds dropped to 200Mb/s or there abouts but frankly have no idea when as it had zero impact on y day to day usage. However around 5 weeks ago I noticed the reduction when I ran a speedtest but did not get round to rdporting it for a few weeks but tried ghe usual reboots etc

I called Sky customer services who after running the usual teats escalated the issue to Network Services who did some fiddling the next day - webriefly lost connectivity without dropping the  WAN connection followed by a reset of the WAN but no hub reboot Inthinkmthe IP address changed. However speeds remained lower. I followed up with cs who called me back to say they were sending an engineer out. However I switched the SR203 Sky hub with a new one I happened to have (🤫) which tests at 550Mb/s down so I cancelled the visit. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

I presume you are saying the access speed dropped to the router not the WIFI speed in the room, the OP was getting low speeds on WIFI.

I am aware OR can provision the wrong speed but I cannot remember from where.

Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion