Discussion topic: sky.com postcode database error - cannot place order

This message was authored by ECR2022 This message was authored by: ECR2022

sky.com postcode database error - cannot place order

The sky.com website postcode database is out of sync for my postcode.

It's not a problem with the Post Office database or the Openreach database, it's a problem on sky.com itself.

Who in Sky could solve this problem? Does anybody know?

I've had multiple phone calls with Sky, online chats and twitter chats on this issue over the last two weeks.

On the phone the Sky help team have confirmed they also see this problem on the sky.com website, but they don't know how to escalate this problem to the people responsible for the website!

When placing an order for broadband on sky.com, I am able to select my postcode and house number correctly when checking for availability. At this point in the order process, sky.com DOES have the correct information for my postcode.

Further on in the order process it asks for the installation location to be confirmed. At this point my house number and all of my neighbours are MISSING from the drop-down list. A this point there's no option to change the postcode or to indicate the house number is NOT LISTED.

This is not a browser problem or browser cache problem. It's a problem in the database on sky.com. It's a strange problem as it only shows up in the confirmation part of the order process.

The Post Office and Openreach both have the correct information. The sky.com website also has the correct information, but only in the first stage of the order process, not in the confirmation step.

The lists of addresses for my postcode was recently updated. My house is 30 years old, but some new entries for new-build properties have been added to the postcode. In the confirmation step of the sky.com website, only the new entries for new-build properties are listed - the original entries have all been removed in error. This database error only exists on the sky.com website - it's correct everywhere else I've looked.

The Sky advisors on the phone cannot offer me the same deal as online. It's currently impossible to order online for any house in my postcode, so I will have to sign up with another provider if this can't be fixed.

I've included screen shots of the problem. In the first step the correct entries for the postcode are shown giving the correct street name "East Craigs Rigg". The next step is to fill in a few personal details (I've put in dummy information in the screen shot), then the third screen shows the confirmation step, in which the drop-down list is missing all of the entries for "East Craigs Rigg" and only shows entries for new-build houses "Plot XX, Craigs Road, North Gyle".

If you don't think this is a problem on the sky.com website, try it for yourself, it only takes a minute to reach the problem in the order process.

If you are logged in to the sky.com website, you need to sign out before starting the order process to be able to enter the postcode to check availability.

[NOTE TO MODERATORS: THE PROBLEM I AM REPORTING IS SPECIFIC TO A PARTICULAR POSTCODE, SO I HAVE NO OPTION BUT TO INCLUDE THE POSTCODE.  I HAVE NOT INDICATED MY ADDRESS, ONLY THE POSTCODE WHICH HAS THE DATABASE ERROR.  PLEASE ALLOW THE POSTCODE TO BE SHOWN, OR PLEASE ESCALATE THIS ISSUE WITHIN SKY!]

1.  Initial step of order process.  The drop-down list contains correct house numbers and street name "East Craigs Rigg"2.jpg3.jpg4.  Drop-down list in second step is shown, now it does not contain any entries for "East Craigs Rigg"

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

ECR2022
Topic Author

Re: sky.com postcode database error - cannot place order

Screen shots:

1. Initial step of order process. The drop-down list contains correct house numbers and street name "East Craigs Rigg"

1e.jpg

2. First step of order process, dummy information shown

2.jpg

3. Second step of order process asking for confirmation of address

3.jpg

4. Drop-down list in second step is shown, now it does not contain any entries for "East Craigs Rigg"

4e.jpg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ECR2022 

I've escalated your post via the community chat. This link explains how it works

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Keep an eye out for an invite or blue chat bubble. When the blue bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed.

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
ECR2022
Topic Author

No action or response from Sky on the problem on their website preventing orders from my postcode.

Is it fair to assume that if I were to become a customer (increasingly unlikely), then customer service would be equally poor and unresponsive?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ECR2022 

This forum is mainly customer to customer based and we very rarely see database issues which obviously need to be solved by Sky. In these cases its much easier to call Sky instead to get a hold of them. By the looks of it the escalation didnt work as no agent has posted a message on here telling you that they are trying to get in contact with you. I will re-escalate the issue but if you'd like a more prompt response I suggest you call as often agents can fix things in an order that are incorrect on the website. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
ECR2022
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

I've called Sky several times on this issue.  Each time the tech support person has not known who to contact regarding the problem on the website.  They'd rather sign me up over the phone with a much less attractive package than deal with the problem on the website.

I've also been promised two call-backs from two different support people which haven't happened, so after trying multiple calls I've then come to this forum.

So calling in hasn't worked.  I've also tried live chat with even less success, and contacted their support on twitter.

Literally no-one at Sky seems to have any awareness of how to report a problem with their website.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion