Discussion topic: "No satellite signal" but only on some channels

This message was authored by MahargN This message was authored by: MahargN

"No satellite signal" but only on some channels

I'm having problems with Sky Q box.  I am getting No satellite signal on a random list of channels (BBC 4 HD, Sky One HD, Sky Witness HD, Sky Atlantic HD, etc), but other channels are working fine (ie, BBC One HD, BBC Two HD, ITV channels, W HD, GOLD HD Nat Geo HD, History HD).   Any ideas?  

My signal strength/quality is 70/90.

I have checked wiring, including swapping around the satellite input cables, and made sure they are well fastened on, pulled the plug out and waiting 30 seconds, forced S/W update (not that it needed it, but hey).

Any ideas?  Is it an engineer job?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

Re: "No satellite signal" but only on some channels

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @MahargN 

Have you tried to reset settings in the hidden menu ?

settings (don't press enter)

001 enter

reset

reset settings

DON'T reset hard drive or factory as you will lose your recordings 

This often gets rid of glitches 

2nd thought  - when you rebooted earlier (I assume you did)  - did  you switch off at the mains for over 1 minute to allow components that retain a charge - to fully discharge 

If not - try that also.  Hope that helps 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

MahargN
Topic Author

OK, thanks @mike+simmonds - that's interesting, because I've just done the reset, and I now have BBC 4 HD back, but not the other channels I am missing.

So, going to give your second suggestion ago and then reset again, and see what happens then!  If that's doesn't work then assume it must be a box fault, as doesn't appear to be an issue with my LNB/dish as why would BBC 4 HD suddenly reappear.  I'll report back....

This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

Hi @MahargN 

Different groups of channels are transmitted by different transponders (parts of the satellite)

I don't know which channels are on which transponder but that's why sometimes some groups of channels can't be viewed 

This can happen if your dish has moved slightly but similarly, box reboots done properly seem to often reset the reception 

hope you have some success but do post back 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

MahargN
Topic Author

Thanks, @mike+simmonds 

No, leaving it off for (over) a minute and doing another reset didn't resolve it.  I get what you said about the transponder issue.  I guess it will be an engineer visit.  Thanks for your help.

Hi @MahargN 

Engineer visits are taking place for repairs . They seem to be taking the form of a box swap 

I've obviously no idea of the actual cause of your missing channels but if you get an engineer, maybe get them to check the dish alignment rather than just swap the box

i really hope you get this sorted out 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Hi @MahargN 

I just noticed this thread as well

Probably worth seeing if any alternative suggestions in there later on 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/No-Satellite-signal-on-certain-channels/td-p/3229425 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

MahargN
Topic Author

Thanks, @mike+simmonds - will have a look and report back.  Thanks for your help.  Appreciated.

This message was authored by Subakaran1 This message was authored by: Subakaran1

Hi I have had a similar issue where Sky Channels such as Sky News and most Sky Cinema channels. I have unplugged the box and cables and restarted but it has not fixed it. I also used the hidden menu ( Settings, 0, 0, 1, Select) and changed the LBN type from Wideband to SCR like it says to on the Sky help page but this did not work. Anyone know how to fix this?

MahargN
Topic Author

Hi @Subakaran1 

Couldn't get it to work in the end so rang Sky.  Was expecting to be sat in a call queue for hours but spoke to somebody immediately on Wednesday evening at around 9pm, and arranged an engineer to come out Friday. Arrived at 10am and said it 'probably' wasn't the box but the dish/LNB.  My dish is on the top of the house strapped to the chimney, but he said he wasn't allowed to go up to that height anymore, so he has installed a brand new second dish tucked discreetly away on the back of the house.  Cut off as much wire off the old dish as much as he could and then fed it around to the new dish.  All connected and all channels back and working normally, and signal/quality strength both gone up.   Couldn't have asked for more really.  

I know people rile Sky all the time, but actually, could not have asked for better service especially during this very peculiar time. 

Hi @MahargN 

Delighted to hear you got it sorted out

Sounds like a great effort from the engineer 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

This message was authored by Subakaran1 This message was authored by: Subakaran1

Thanks I will try calling sky now that everything has stopped working

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

@Subakaran1 wrote:I also used the hidden menu ( Settings, 0, 0, 1, Select) and changed the LBN type from Wideband to SCR like it says to on the Sky help page but this did not work.

If you have your own Sky MiniDish it will be fitted with a Wideband LNB.

Only, If you were being fed from a communal Integrated Reception System installation would your Sky Q receiver need to be configured to use SCR LNB mode.

So, the correct LNB type should always be left in the default WIDEBAND mode, whenever anybody has their own Sky MiniDish.

Godfrey. 

This message was authored by Mr+C+Wren This message was authored by: Mr+C+Wren

Sky TV Signals showing Locked on channels that have signal but itv hd have no signal and on signal on MTV's channel other channel no signal on London live BBC Two Channel 5 keeps breaking up Comdy Central no signal and more you get my point but ITV +1 Working What is happening was working fine Thursday night Friday I had issue with Recording it breaking up for about 5 seconds then was fine and now today Monday 28/04/20 No Channel on most of them something happened and I check all cables I have done all technical support Checks and all that jazz and no luck I have a engineer already booked but just posting on here as of I see some other people have same issue weird 

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

@Mr+C+Wren 

Is it possible that what was previously a clear 'line of sight' path between the Astra cluster of satellites and your dish, is now being obstructed by recent new season leaf growth.

Unfortunately, your Sky Q receiver only reports the Signal Amplitude status and whether it has managed to achieve a 'Lock'  to the datastrean of just the 'Default' transponder, it tells you nothing about the status of the other 69 transponder signals that you require for completely error free reception.

Godfrey.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion