Discussion topic: When will the sky network work in unison with BT broadband

This message was authored by john+mac123 This message was authored by: john+mac123

When will the sky network work in unison with BT broadband

I have had Sky Q for well over a year and had BT for broadband for around 9 years and don't want to change provider.

my issue is I have a mini Sky Q box  which is too far away from my main box and because sky isn't compatible with BT network it doesn't work? When will this be fixed please? Why can't it route via standard Wi-Fi like other services Netflix etc? Should be open to standards...  

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: When will the sky network work in unison with BT broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@john+mac123 wrote:

I have had Sky Q for well over a year and had BT for broadband for around 9 years and don't want to change provider.

my issue is I have a mini Sky Q box  which is too far away from my main box and because sky isn't compatible with BT network it doesn't work? When will this be fixed please? Why can't it route via standard Wi-Fi like other services Netflix etc? Should be open to standards...  

Hi @john+mac123 

I don't think they are every likely to change it t use an independent wifi. 

Have you asked to see if you can get a SKy Booster ?

Alternatively is there anyway you can connect the mini to the main box via ethernet (or both via ethernet to your BT network) ?

john+mac123
Topic Author
This message was authored by john+mac123 This message was authored by: john+mac123

Hi

thanks for responding, they tried but no joy with a booster, it's an old house so difficult to run cat6.

one option might be power over Ethernet but again, not sure if it will work 

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@john+mac123 wrote:

Hi

thanks for responding, they tried but no joy with a booster, it's an old house so difficult to run cat6.

one option might be power over Ethernet but again, not sure if it will work 

Have you tried using powerlines to connect via your ringmain?

I am just another Sky customer!
john+mac123
Topic Author

Hi 

I haven't tried power line but am I right in thinking that needs to be all on the Same ring main? The room I am struggling with has a dedicated power supply - although attached to main house 

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@john+mac123 wrote:

Hi 

I haven't tried power line but am I right in thinking that needs to be all on the Same ring main? The room I am struggling with has a dedicated power supply - although attached to main house 

No they don't have to be on the same ring main although if the ring mains have their own RCD's it can be an issue depending on the type of RCD. The only thing to do is try it.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion