Discussion topic: Superfast speeds at guaranteed minimum and engineer need to upgrade to Ultrafast?

This message was authored by shadydaz This message was authored by: shadydaz

Superfast speeds at guaranteed minimum and engineer need to upgrade to Ultrafast?

Hi all, I hope you can help me.

I've been on Sky Broadband Superfast for the last 17 months, when I took it out I wasn't really happy with the speeds (around 36mbps) so an Openreach Engineer visited replaced all the lines etc. and still the speed settled on 38mbps so I have just put up with it. 

However, as my contract is set to renew, I've been doing a bit of research and according to the btwholesale broadband checker I should be getting faster speeds so I'm confused. My minimum guaranteed speed is 35mbps which is what I'm getting now, but for new customers at my address it is showing as 45mbps (through incognito browser). 

In addition, I thought I'd try and upgrade from Superfast to Ultrafast to see if this sorted it out but when doing so it says I need to book an engineer. Why is that as I already have the equipment etc. 

Thanks in advance for your help. If you need any further information, please let me know.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

shadydaz
Topic Author

Re: Superfast speeds at guaranteed minimum and engineer need to upgrade to Ultrafast?

Here are the results from the Broadband checker site. 

BTwholesale.jpg

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Re: Superfast speeds at guaranteed minimum and engineer need to upgrade to Ultrafast?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@shadydaz wrote:
 In addition, I thought I'd try and upgrade from Superfast to Ultrafast to see if this sorted it out but when doing so it says I need to book an engineer. Why is that as I already have the equipment etc. 

@shadydaz 

Then engineer would be to install the ONT for Ultrasfast FTTP (full fibre) or a change of 'phone socket faceplate for Ultrafast via G.fast (similar to FTTC)

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
shadydaz
Topic Author

Thank you so much for the quick reply, apologies I dont really understand what that means, is that just a minor job inside the property? Thanks again. 

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@shadydaz wrote:

Thank you so much for the quick reply, apologies I dont really understand what that means, is that just a minor job inside the property? Thanks again. 

@shadydaz For a 'phone socket faceplate change, should be fairly straightforward (for G.fast)

For full fibre Ultrafast, the ONT installation may require drilling into the house (unless you have one installed already)

ONT's look similar to these (inside)

ONT.png

And this outside

FTTP external.jpg

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
shadydaz
Topic Author

Thank you again. I havent got one of those at the moment. To be honest if I could get better speeds on my current package I probably wouldnt bother, but I have no idea what to do about it. 

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

You are on a "Superfast" package at the moment, which means you are connected over your old copper telephone wires to a nearby cabinet which is then connected to fibre from there.

Typically the fastest speeds you can ever get from any provider in this set up (depending on how far away your house is from the cabinet), would be 80/20 (80Mbps download, 20 upload).

According to the broadband checker you have posted, it indicates you should be getting a download of around 70Mbps (subject to the quality of the line and various other factors), with a minimum speed of around 46Mbps download.

Luckily for you, you also have access to Ultrafast, which means instead of the fibre going to a cabinet, it can come straight into your house, which means you can benefit from much faster speeds and (probably), a much more stable line because there isn't any copper involved as with a Superfast connection.

It looks to me like you have 2 options:

1. Get someone to sort out your existing connection so you get better speeds (top tip, Sky aren't very good at this), or
  2. Upgrade through Sky or another provider to Ultrasfast and benefit from a much more stable, faster connection for a few quid more

Whether you need that extra speed will depend on what you use your connection for. This may help explain more, BT, Sky, PlusNet etc. all use the Openreach network: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/ 

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
shadydaz
Topic Author

Thank you, thats a fantastic answer. The community here seem really helpful! 

I'd like to try and sort this connection first, but as you say, the last time Sky seemed to fob me off and the Openreach tech did everthing he could. Whats the best contact method to get someone to look into this? Is there ant technical explanation I can give them so will understand what I'm after? 

Again thank you all. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@shadydaz 

The reason Sky is showing a higher speed for a new customer at your address is that they'd provision any new orders over a full FTTP fibre line rather than FTTC which you have now which is limited by the quality of the copper entering your home. 

You are currently above your minimum guarantee with Sky so they have no obligation to look at your line for faults since its performing within spec when you signed the contract. You'll either have to just keep what you have now or look at ordering FTTP. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
shadydaz
Topic Author

Thanks, I take it that the engineer would have to replace the overhead line as well as install the box? Do you keep the same router and everything? 

@shadydaz 

The engineer would bring in a separate fibre line from the pole and leave the old copper one in place. This fibre line would then be drilled into your home at a convenient place for both the engineer and yourself. 

You'd need the SR203 hub so unless you have that router already you'd get a new one. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
shadydaz
Topic Author

Brilliant thanks. I already have that hub. I wonder why they didnt do this when I signed up 18 months ago, I had all the same options then so it seems strange they went with the copper option. I still dont understand why the braodband checher says I should be getting faster speeds though. If I could get it up around what that suggest i'd be happy with that. 

@shadydaz 

A lot can happen in 18 months. Its likely your area wasnt ready for FTTP yet. Mine wont be for another few years at least 😑

I am NOT a Sky Employee

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion