Discussion topic: Sky q hub device limit

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by graham1995 This message was authored by: graham1995

Re: Sky q hub device limit

Hi we are having similar issues, a few weeks ago my son rang sky & they arranged an openreach engineer to call he said he couldn't enter our property but ran a test from outside. He reported that there was a problem & he would report it & call back when allowed. He showed proof of this to my son on his tablet. Now weeks later the internet is still dropping out so my son rang again , this time they refused to do anything using the usual excuse of too may devices connected. We have about 22 which according to sky's own documentation the Q hub can handle 64 simultaneous how are they getting away with this. The openreach engineer told my son that sky are always trying to fob customers off & that the call centre staff are not technically trained. I only stick with sky because I have the whole package tv broadband & mobile but not for much longer.

This message was authored by Expert+User This message was authored by: Expert+User

Yep, TV is awesome, Broadband is pants, I thought it was 'stable' at 2 days between re-boots but now I am back to twice a day having to either pull from the Master socket or Reset / Power Cycle. Customer service is as discraceful as always, no consistent answers or diagnosis.

This message was authored by PtiSinge This message was authored by: PtiSinge

Still the same neverending issue here...
Connection dropping at least once a day.
Sky CS still hides behind the "you have too many devices connected" nonsense.
As mentioned many times in this thread by several people, there is no such thing as too many devices when you've got circa 20 devices on your network - let alone most of them hiddle.
Dismal service and pathetic excuses as always! 

Does anyone know, is there any kind of setting in the router admin where you can unset or increase that pseudo limit - if it is even set anywhere that is?

Thanks!

This message was authored by Expert+User This message was authored by: Expert+User

OK so I have turned off and on various settings, the only thing that seems to help but not always is increasing the UPnP Advertisement period, I do 120 mins, hops I play around with, its on 5 at the mo.

This message was authored by BrianGJSteer This message was authored by: BrianGJSteer

There are no settings in the SR203 or for that matter any of the earlier Sky routers that has any impact on the limit for the number of devices you can have.

I had 45 or so devices with fixed IP addresses that I could connect at any time, and typically 20 - 35 devices active at any one time.

As I was having so much trouble with the SR 203, I bought a TP-Link VR2100  which I now use permanently and that seems fine for my needs with no obvious problems. I also use a TP Deco M9 Mesh systems for most of my devices connected to the TP-Link modem set up for a Sky connection of course.

I think the problem is that Sky just aren't aware of the increase in devices now with the IoT (Internet of Things) that is here now and really not fit for purpose any longer. 

Ok, thanks. I shall give that a try too!

Yeah I would agree Sky's equipment just can't cope anymore. The thing is they would never admit to that and keep wasting their customer's time with lame excuses like "you have too many devices". That's Sky's legendary bad customer service for you. 

I was going to get my own router and hook all my devices to that then Ethernet to the 203 but saw some threads saying that did not fix the issue so I have not bothered. If that in fact does solve the issue then happy days please let us know I will get myself 1 of those massive gaming routers with 20 Ariels sticking out of it 🤣

This message was authored by BrianGJSteer This message was authored by: BrianGJSteer

I bought a TP-Link VR2100 which has the option when you first set it up to use it  to replace the Sky router, my latest one was the SR203, but I also had the ER model. I now only use the TP-Link unit. As the Wi-Fi coverage I needed was for around 500 m2 I bought a TP-Link Deco M9 so I connect to that. But if you only have a small place the VR2100 should be enough.

Don't bother trying to use the Sky router, just put in back in the box ready to return to Sky when you change to a good Internet provider.

If you buy a router you MUST make sure it can replace the Sky router, as it is a very specific interface that few routers can handle. I only know the VR2100 works perfectly for me.

This message was authored by loonytoon70 This message was authored by: loonytoon70

Re: Sky q hub device limi

My broadband has been dropping on and off every few seconds, it's appalling! We are getting so fed up of it now. We rang them and they said about so many devices being connected to wifi. What modern household doesn't have a fair few devices nowadays? Is there a way to see exactly what devices are connected in total?  Just so we can remove old devices if no longer in use?

It's like we have taken a backwards step using sky q and sky broadband, when using apps we are getting buffering. So frustrating. I thought buffering was non existent nowadays, trying to watch anything on an app is hard work due to so much buffering. 

When I click on internet settings, you can see the status changing every few seconds, saying "connected", "not connected". 

My tablets won't work, taking upto 5 minutes to load a page. Google has problems connecting as does my heating. 
so they can't say it's a particular device as it's so many different devices that won't connect, so it has to be the broadband/connection as opposed to the devices. 

Switch to a TP-Link VR2100

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@loonytoon70 

Can you post your router stats as shown below

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by loonytoon70 This message was authored by: loonytoon70

Thank you, I will look at this. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion