Discussion topic: Scam call??

This message was authored by Spod87 This message was authored by: Spod87

Scam call??

I've received a call today from someone saying they where from sky. They asked me if my broadband had issue...which it did it went off around 10pm lastnight. A fair few people in my area where effected...so with this in mind I followed over the phone instructions given. Which was to download an app called quick support. At this point i put the phone down.   I was also told people where downloading malicious content without my knowing and that this was what was causing my broadband issues ....is this a scam...they have since tried ringing back 3 times 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Scam call??

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Spod87 

Yes, that's absolutely a scam.  Sky and other ISPs do not make such calls to customers.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Spod87 

Yes, that's absolutely a scam.  Sky and other ISPs do not make such calls to customers.

Spod87
Topic Author
This message was authored by Spod87 This message was authored by: Spod87

Thought as much. Thank you

This message was authored by Sak1976 This message was authored by: Sak1976

I received call that its Sky Technical Department & my Broadband have suspouis access, As calls came from a landline number so attend he give his detail that Sky ID: 007 53 89637, Kevin Root.

He take my dos promt cmd and type access and werer conforming me CLI no which knowing Scamm ask him to will talk Sky First.

Its another Scam attemp and feel sorry for poor no technical or Vulnerable people to get Con, I also reported on Action Fraud & also advised other to do so, Stay safe. Thanks.

This message was authored by Crowriginal This message was authored by: Crowriginal

Phone number for the Indian scammer is "O7992O75OO1"  (all numerals).  You are then asked you to download "quick support" app from the playstore.  This gives scammers remote access to your entire device.  BEWARE.

This message was authored by Sak1976 This message was authored by: Sak1976

I still getting more calls & knowing dealt them, I report them on Police & other website.

Sky need to pro-active & stop these cold calls to their customer to stop getting coin & headache tacking them.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sak1976 wrote:

Sky need to pro-active & stop these cold calls to their customer

Of course, but how?  Such calls typically originate overseas, made from 'shadow' call centres operating with effective impunity from local law enforcement and carried over VOIP which currently has no mechanism to prevent Caller ID spoofing.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion